http://www.thebostonchannel.com/r/25655647/detail.html
<http://www.thebostonchannel.com/r/25655647/detail.html>       Illegals
Say TSA Approved Flight         Training       3 Claim Documents Show
Federal         Clearance
POSTED:           8:55 am EDT November 6, 2010
UPDATED: 9:12 am EDT November 6, 2010

BOSTON -- Three Brazilian         nationals accused being in the country
illegally while studying         to be pilots at         a Stow flight
school said they were cleared by the federal Transportation
Security         Administration for flight training.

The         men, who agreed to talk to NewsCenter 5 under a condition of
anonymity, said they came to the United States legally but now
have         expired visas. They said the TSA never asked them about
their         immigration         status.

"I         did an application for the TSA. They looked at my background
and         there's nothing criminal," said one. "I'm not a
terrorist,'' he         said.

The         owner of the TJ Aviation Flight Academy and more than 30
students         accused of being in the United States illegally
received         clearance to train         as pilots despite strict
security controls put in place after         the Sept. 11,         2001,
terrorist attacks.

Each         of the three showed documents from the TSA approving pilot
lessons         through the federal agency's alien flight student
program.

"If         I was not supposed to do it, they were supposed to block
everything and not give me permission. Not just me, but others,"
another         said.

"You         cannot start classes without clearance from the TSA," he
said.

After         being allowed to fly for dozens of hours each, they now
risk         being         deported and each said they fear being
stereotyped as some kind         of foreign         terrorists.

"All         the people going to the school have to work hard to pay
money,         pay the taxes. Why should I be a terrorist?" said one.

TSA         officials said they will review the process through which
foreign         nationals obtain clearance to take flight lessons and
acquire         pilots' licenses.

"TSA         is responsible for checking foreign nationals who apply for
flight training in the United States or with FAA-certified
flight training         providers anywhere in the world. TSA performs a
thorough         background check on         each applicant at the time
of application to include terrorism         and other watch         list
matching, a criminal history check and checks for available
disqualifying         immigration information," TSA said in a statement.

The         school's owner, Thiago DeJesus, denies he is in the U.S.
illegally.

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.