http://securitydebrief.adfero.com/2010/10/25/lessons-from-abroad-counter\
ing-terrorism-in-japan-part-i-on-culture/
<http://securitydebrief.adfero.com/2010/10/25/lessons-from-abroad-counte\
ring-terrorism-in-japan-part-i-on-culture/>       Lessons from abroad
– Countering             terrorism in Japan – Part I (on
culture)
<http://securitydebrief.adfero.com/2010/10/25/lessons-from-abroad-counte\
ring-terrorism-in-japan-part-i-on-culture/>
October           25th, 2010 - by Donovan C.             Chau
<http://securitydebrief.adfero.com/authors/donovan-c./>

Last month, I spent a fortnight         conducting field
research on counterterrorism in Japan.         Because East Asia is
often overlooked in terms of terrorism         analysis (even Southeast
Asia garners scant attention from but a         small         handful of
scholars, analysts and commentators), I felt and         continue to
feel         compelled to learn from the Japanese counterterrorism
experience. Learning from         like-minded liberal democracies
(including the United Kingdom         and Israel)         benefits U.S.
national security as well as the broader international security
community. The         focus of my efforts, thus, was to comprehend how
the Japanese         government         counters terrorism –
particularly its culture, system and         methods. This is the
first in a three-part series.

In his 1993 influential article         (later published in         book
format), the late Samuel Huntington raised the specter of a
clash of         civilizations (it was originally a question, not an
assertion).         Since the         terrorist attacks on September 11,
2001, Huntington's         thesis was ostensibly proven correct. The
Western civilization         was attacked by         the Islamic
civilization, causing our current international         security
environment.

I bring this up because, of the         seven or so
civilizations mentioned by Huntington,         the Japanese civilization
stood out to me. How could it be that         a         geographically
small country with about 127 million people (and         declining)
possessed its own civilization? And to what extent did this mean
that the         Japanese civilization dealt with security threats in
its own         unique manner,         that is, its own strategic
culture? Though this is not the forum         to discuss in
depth Japanese strategic culture, or the lack thereof (which
requires a book,         or at least a scholarly journal article, to
begin with), this         space does afford         me the opportunity
to discuss the Japanese cultural perception         of terrorism as
a national security threat.

The history of terrorism in Japan         allows us to understand
better the Japanese cultural view of terrorism, or so it would
seem. Well         before September 2001, Japan         experienced
attacks of various sorts that were labeled         terrorism. These
comprised, initially, left-wing student radicals inspired by
worldwide         communism from the 1960s onward. The students
organized and         protested violently         against the U.S.-Japan
security alliance and U.S.         bases in Japan         (which are
still targets of protest). They also protested rising         student
fees,         the construction of Narita International Airport
(which I flew into, conveniently) and other evil expressions of
capitalism.

Out of these left-wing student         groups emerged a most
infamous organization, the Japanese Red Army (Nihon Sekigun),
whose members         conducted terrorist attacks in Europe and the
Middle East.         (The Japanese Red Army must not be confused with
the Red Army,         Sekigun-ha, or         the United Red Army, Rengo
Sekigun, which was formed after         elements of the Red         Army
merged with members of the Keihin Anti-Treaty Joint         Struggle
group, Keihin         Ampo Kyoto.) Often forgotten, Japanese citizens
actually joined         the Palestinian         struggle for
independence, viewing their actions within the         overall framework
of communist revolution against global capitalism.

Alongside these left-wing         terrorists were right-wing
nationalist elements which caught (and continue to catch) the
attention of the         Japanese government. Though much less has been
written about         them, right-wing         extremists protested and
used violence in support of         nationalistic and         patriotic
causes, at times targeting specific individuals or         organizations
that         disgraced the Emperor or Japan's         imperial past.

In light of this summer's tensions         between Japan and China
over islands in the East China Sea, right-wing         groups may once
again gain in prominence. Outside of these         politically
motivated groups, the group that Americans may be familiar with
is, of course,         Aum Shinrikyo (Supreme Truth, roughly
translated). Aum,         motivated by         apocalyptic
quasi-Buddhist views, conducted the most blatant act         of
terrorism         in Japan to date – the March         1995 sarin
gas attacks in the Tokyo         subway, which killed twelve and wounded
over 5,000.

In fact, it was later learned that         Aum had used chemical
and biological weapons in previous terrorist attacks, and,
perhaps more         astonishing, the group had amassed a fortune in the
hundreds of         millions of         U.S. dollars with an
international presence in places like         Germany, Sri Lanka,
Russia and the United States.

All of these Japanese experiences         of terrorism and the
concomitant efforts to counter them (to be discussed in parts II
and II)         suggest that Japan         knows what terrorism is and
considers it a threat to national         security. To be         sure,
the select government officials, academics and researchers         I met
last         month in the Kanto area (Tokyo and Yokohama) certainly did.
Yet         they all, without fail, stated that terrorism is not high on
the         threat         spectrum in Japan.         In fact, terrorism
is somewhere between low and "very low,"         whereas the
aging         population and natural disasters are high, with North
Korea         somewhere below them.

Though I was not completely         shocked, the explanation         for
Japan's low threat         perception of terrorism is revealing for
us in the United         States. While no liberal         democratic
society will be in agreement on a definition of         terrorism or the
so-called root causes of terrorism, the Japanese view of the
terrorist threat         is seemingly ephemeral – and largely
influenced by public         opinion. The cultural         view of
terrorism in Japan,         therefore, holds important lessons for U.S.
policymakers and         analysts: Be         wary of the influence of
public opinion in matters of security,         and do not         treat
terrorism as something fleeting.

<http://securitydebrief.adfero.com/2010/10/25/lessons-from-abroad-counte\
ring-terrorism-in-japan-part-i-on-culture/>

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.