http://news.scotsman.com/latest-national-news/Counterterrorism-probe-aft\
er-blast.6631554.jp
<http://news.scotsman.com/latest-national-news/Counterterrorism-probe-af\
ter-blast.6631554.jp>       Counter-terrorism           probe after
blast
Police           stand at the entrance to the Ross Priory at in the
Garadhban           forest in           Gartocharn near Loch Lomond

  [Click on thumbnail to view image] Published Date: 18 November 2010

An           explosion in a remote forest area is being investigated by
counter-terrorism           officers in Scotland.

A member of           the public reported the explosion in the Garadhban
forest in           Gartocharn near Loch Lomond.

Police said there was damage to trees and that they suspected
explosives had           been involved. UK-wide agencies are helping
police assess the           scene.

The Northern Diving Group - the Royal Navy's equivalent of the
bomb disposal           squad - was at the scene today. A Ministry of
Defence           spokesman said it had           been asked for
assistance by Strathclyde Police.

No one was injured and the public was not at risk, the force
said.

A source close to the investigation said counter-terrorism
officers were at the           scene.

Chief Superintendent Calum Murray, Divisional Commander for
Argyll, Bute and West Dunbartonshire, said: "As you would
expect,           when we are dealing with a situation where we suspect
that           explosives may be involved,           it is our immediate
priority to assess the situation and to           call on expertise
where we think it is appropriate.

"By its very nature, this type of assessment and investigation
is complex           and does take time. I can confirm that we are
currently being           assisted by           agencies from across the
UK.

"I would stress that the site is secure and that there is no
risk to           public safety. I would ask that if anyone has seen
anything           suspicious in or           around the area, or has
any information - no matter how           insignificant it may
seem - that they contact the Police or Crimestoppers. All
calls will, of           course, be treated in the strictest of
confidence.

"As I am sure you can understand, this is an ongoing
investigation that is           going to take some time to complete. We
will release more           information as that           investigation
progresses."

Copyright (c) Press Association Ltd. 2010, All Rights
Reserved.

    * Last               Updated: 18 November 2010 6:58 PM
    * Source: Press              Association
    * Location:             The Press Association Newsdesk

<http://news.scotsman.com/latest-national-news/Counterterrorism-probe-af\
ter-blast.6631554.jp>

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.