http://www.voanews.com/english/news/usa/Guantanamo-Trial-Verdict-Angers-US-L
awmakers-108952894.html

US Lawmakers: More Civilian Trials Unlikely for Terror Suspects

VOA News | Capitol Hill 18 November 2010

Influential members of Congress say Wednesday's landmark terror trial
verdict in New York should put a halt to further civilian trials of
suspected foreign terrorists in the United States.  The conviction of a
Tanzanian man of involvement the 1998 U.S. embassy bombings in Africa has
provoked strong reactions in Washington and across the United States.

>From the start, the federal trial of Tanzanian Ahmed Ghailani was seen by
many as a test of the U.S. civilian court system's ability to prosecute
foreign terror suspects. And now the verdict is in - perhaps in more ways
than one.

Of hundreds of charges relating to the 1998 U.S. embassy bombings in Africa,
a jury found Ghailani guilty of only one count of conspiracy.

His attorney, Peter Quijano, was jubilant, and thanked the judge and jury
for a "fair trial".

"Even before this verdict I believed in the system and I believed in jury
trials," said Quijano.

Not so pleased are U.S. lawmakers who have long-resisted the Obama
administration's desire to try terror suspects held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
in civilian courts rather than military tribunals.

Independent Democratic Senator Joe Lieberman is chairman of the Senate
Homeland Security Committee:

"I think the Ghailani verdict is not quite the death knell [end] of civilian
trials of detainees, but it makes it highly unlikely that many more will
happen," said Lieberman. "To me, we are in a war. And people you capture in
a war should be held in a military setting."

Lieberman told VOA that, not only does the Ghailani verdict complicate
future prosecutions, it also makes the president's goal of closing
Guantanamo vastly more difficult to achieve.

"I do not think there is any real prospect that Congress will allow
Guantanamo to be closed in the next two years," he said. "This decision
makes it even harder, because it suggests we are going to need a place to
keep detainees. And Guantanamo is way up above international standards for
incarceration, and it has facilities for military trials."

The man who will be Speaker of the House of Representatives beginning next
year, Republican John Boehner, was even more blunt.  In a statement, Boehner
said the Ghailani verdict is further proof that the plan to try terror
suspects in civilian courts was "wrong from day one". He called on the Obama
administration to reverse course, keep all other Guantanamo Bay detainees
off U.S. soil, and prosecute them in military courts.

Human rights and civil liberties groups take a different view. The
Washington director of Human Rights Watch, Tom Malinowski, says the Ghailani
verdict shows that civilian judges and juries are entirely capable of
delivering justice - even if the verdict is not to everyone's liking.

"A jury of Americans in New York City, very close to ground zero, was able
to deliberate and issue not the verdict the government wanted," said
Malinowski. "It shows that American courts and American juries are
independent and thoughtful and take their responsibilities very, very
seriously."

Malinowski added that a military tribunal might well have yielded the same
outcome in the Ghailani case as the civilian court did.

Speaking with reporters, White House Press Secretary Robert Gibbs noted that
the Ghailani conviction carries a hefty prison sentence of at least 20 years
without parole, and that Ghailani will not be threatening American lives as
a result of the verdict. He said President Barack Obama remains committed to
closing the U.S. detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, even though his
initial timeframe - within a year of taking office - has long-expired.

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.