http://fcw.com/Articles/2011/01/14/DHS-cancels-rest-of-SBInet-and-plans-mix-
of-new-technologies-at-border.aspx?s=fcwdaily_180111
<http://fcw.com/Articles/2011/01/14/DHS-cancels-rest-of-SBInet-and-plans-mix
-of-new-technologies-at-border.aspx?s=fcwdaily_180111&p=1> &p=1

After SBINet: DHS' new border control strategy

Napolitano confirms SBInet can't meet security objectives

o    By
<http://fcw.com/forms/emailtoauthor.aspx?AuthorItem=%7b54A5C881-1BBD-44FA-BB
E7-7024CDF6E286%7d&ArticleItem=%7b6508291D-E754-463D-A4AA-5C4C0F8DF095%7d>
Alice Lipowicz

o    Jan 14, 2011

The multibillion-dollar "SBInet" electronic border surveillance system that
has been problematic to build along the United States-Mexico land border is
no more. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano announced today that
her department is canceling the remainder of the troubled effort and
adopting a mix of new technologies that will be tailored to the terrain and
needs of each border region.

The announcement came at the completion of a year-long reassessment of the
controversial Secure Border Initiative Network (SBInet) program. Development
and construction of a 28-mile prototype and a 53-mile permanent segment of
SBInet in Arizona has cost about $1 billion. FCW obtained a copy of the
report. Click
<http://fcw.com/articles/2011/01/14/~/media/GIG/FCW/Documents/2011/SBInet_as
sessment_report.ashx> here to read it.

In a written statement, Napolitano summarized the department's new strategy:

"The new border security technology plan will utilize existing, proven
technology tailored to the distinct terrain and population density of each
border region, including commercially available mobile surveillance systems,
unmanned aircraft systems, thermal imaging devices, and tower-based remote
video surveillance systems. Where appropriate, this plan will also
incorporate already existing elements of the former SBInet program that have
proven successful, such as stationary radar and infrared and optical sensor
towers," the statement said.

The initial SBINet plans developed in 2005 and 2006 called for SBInet to
extend across the entire U.S.-Mexico land border. The system is comprised of
cameras, radars and sensors strung on towers and linked to command and
control centers.

"SBInet cannot meet its original objective of providing a single, integrated
border security technology solution," Napolitano said in a statement. "DHS
briefed Congress today on my decision to end SBInet as originally conceived
and on a new path forward for security technology along the Southwest
border."

Rep. Bennie Thompson (D-Miss.), the ranking member of the House Oversight
and Government Reform Committee, also issued a statement today describing
SBInet as a "grave and expensive disappointment" that has cost taxpayers
nearly $1 billion for only 53 miles of coverage.

"I am glad that DHS and Customs and Border Protection are finally listening
to what we have been saying for years - that the sheer size and variations
of our borders show us a one-stop solution has never been best," Thompson
wrote. "I applaud them for taking this critical step toward using a more
tailored technologically based approach to securing our nation's borders."

Sen. Joseph Lieberman (I-Conn.) who chairs the Senate Homeland Security and
Governmental Affairs Committee, also supported Napolitano's decision.

"The Secretary's decision to terminate SBInet ends a long-troubled program
that spent far too much of the taxpayers' money for the results it
delivered," Lieberman said. "The department's decision to use technology
based on the particular security needs of each segment of the border is a
far wiser approach, and I hope it will be more cost effective."

CBP awarded a contract to Boeing Co. to begin work in September 2006. The
initial 28-mile prototype began operating in the Arizona desert in February
2008, following months of delays and technical glitches. The 53-mile
permanent section in Arizona is near completion.

Since the beginning, lawmakers and federal auditors have complained of
shifting requirements, major technical snafus, delays, cost overruns and
management problems that have bogged down the project.

While the reassessment of SBInet in Arizona has been completed, in a second
phase of study, each of the nine border sectors will be evaluated to
determine the appropriate mix of technologies to be used, Napolitano said.
Those evaluations will involve independent, quantitative and science-based
research, she indicated.

The new plan will utilize funding previously requested for SBInet and
provided in the fiscal 2011 continuing resolution, Napolitano said.

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.