http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/publications/id.9337/pub_detail.asp

April 26, 2011

The Case Against Omar Ahmad

 <http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/authors/id.1/author_detail.asp> Steve
Emerson

http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/imgLib/20110425_OmarAhmad.jpg

Reports that the Department of Justice
<http://www.politico.com/blogs/joshgerstein/0411/Source_Bush_Justice_Departm
ent_nixed_CAIR_indictment_in_2004.html?showall> declined a request to
prosecute a Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) official last year
have left many,
<http://homeland.house.gov/press-release/king-demands-answers-holder-decisio
n-not-prosecute-cair-its-co-founder-and-other> including U.S. Rep. Peter
King, R-N.Y., wondering what factors DOJ officials considered. A
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/documents/misc/635.pdf> new IPT memo
addresses a different question. Why did Texas prosecutors make the request
to prosecute Ahmad in the first place?

CAIR co-founder Omar Ahmad served as a senior executive in the Palestine
Committee, an
<http://www.txnd.uscourts.gov/judges/hlf2/09-25-08/Elbarasse%20Search%205.pd
f> umbrella organization of U.S.-based Hamas support groups. FBI recordings
and internal documents show. Ahmad worked closely with Holy Land Foundation
for Relief and Development (HLF) officials and served as president of the
Islamic Association for Palestine (IAP) for two years. Both HLF,
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/documents/case_docs/741.pdf> convicted
in 2008 of funneling millions of dollars to Hamas, and IAP, a U.S. Hamas
propaganda arm, were identified in
<http://www.txnd.uscourts.gov/judges/hlf2/09-25-08/Elbarasse%20Search%207.pd
f> court documents as the Palestine Committee's primary components.

Prosecutors say the groups worked to
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/documents/case_docs/422.pdf> support
Hamas both politically and financially. Exhibits introduced during the 2008
HLF trial supported that conclusion. Yet, Ahmad continued to work with HLF
even after Hamas' 1995 designation.

Among the findings in the IPT report showing Ahmad's Palestine Committee
leadership:

.         Almost five years after CAIR's formation, in a 1999
<http://www.txnd.uscourts.gov/judges/hlf2/09-30-08/Baker%20Wiretap%205.pdf>
phone call with HLF executive Shukri Abu Baker, Ahmad advocated on behalf of
an HLF official named Mohammed El-Mezain. Though Ahmad was not an HLF
official, he negotiated the amount HLF would pay El-Mezain for fundraising
trips he had made over several years. Ahmad was serving as CAIR's national
chairman at this time.

.         Also in 1999, Ahmad was
<http://www.txnd.uscourts.gov/judges/hlf2/09-30-08/Baker%20Wiretap%2033.pdf>
recorded speaking with HLF official Haitham Maghawri regarding tens of
thousands of dollars Shukri Abu Baker had promised Ahmad for a project.
Maghawri, one of the HLF defendants, never stood trial because he fled the
country before the government could file the 2004 indictment.

.         In February 1994, Ahmad
<http://www.txnd.uscourts.gov/judges/hlf2/09-30-08/Shabib%20Wiretap2.pdf>
called for a teleconference during which he attempted to resolve a
fundraising dispute between Hamas activist Abdelhaleem Al Ashqar and the
Holy Land Foundation. Hamas operatives Jamil Hamami and Mohamed Siam later
discussed Ahmad's suggestions during a
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/documents/misc/233.pdf> meeting with
Ashqar in Mississippi. The dispute was only fully resolved once Hamas
official Mousa Abu Marzook intervened on HLF's behalf.

.         Ahmad
<http://www.txnd.uscourts.gov/judges/hlf2/09-29-08/Ashqar%20Wiretap%201.pdf>
planned,
<http://www.txnd.uscourts.gov/judges/hlf2/09-29-08/Philly%20Meeting%201.pdf>
convened and
<http://www.txnd.uscourts.gov/judges/hlf2/09-29-08/Philly%20Meeting%205.pdf>
moderated an October 1993 meeting of the Palestine Committee in Philadelphia
where members discussed ways to "derail" a U.S.-led peace agreement between
the Israelis and Palestinians. The group knew that their Hamas support was
problematic. They
<http://www.txnd.uscourts.gov/judges/hlf2/09-29-08/Philly%20Meeting%203E.pdf
> agreed to reference the group as sister "Samah" [Hamas spelled backward]
and
<http://www.txnd.uscourts.gov/judges/hlf2/09-29-08/Philly%20Meeting%205E.pdf
> warned each other that the U.S. had proposed legislation that would
designate Hamas as a terror organization.

.         Under Ahmad's watch, CAIR
<http://nefafoundation.org/miscellaneous/HLF/hlf_cair_5k.pdf> received
<http://nefafoundation.org/miscellaneous/HLF/hlf_cair_5k.pdf> $10,000 from
HLF and solicited donations on HLF's behalf several times after Hamas'
designation.

These examples illustrate Ahmad's authority over the committee and leverage
in making HLF decisions. Internal Palestine Committee documents also affirm
that Ahmad served as a committee executive.

http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/imgLib/20110425_OmarAhmadDiagram.jpg

<http://www.txnd.uscourts.gov/judges/hlf2/09-25-08/Elbarasse%20Search%2010.p
df> diagram of Palestine Committee leadership put together by U.S. Muslim
Brotherhood leader Mohamed Akram in 1991 shows Ahmad (a.k.a. Omar Yehya)
listed in the No. 2 slot in a list of members of the committee's executives.
Ahmad's California phone number also appeared in a Palestine Committee
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/documents/case_docs/701.pdf> phonebook.

During the 2008 trial, FBI Agent Lara Burns pointed to phone calls made
between Ahmad and HLF officials, discussed above, as evidence that he was a
"leader within the Palestine Committee."

Other CAIR officials also
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/documents/case_docs/701.pdf> popped
<http://www.txnd.uscourts.gov/judges/hlf2/09-25-08/Marzook%20Phonebook.pdf>
up in the HLF trial exhibits, such as CAIR's current Executive Director
Nihad Awad and former CAIR Vice President Nabil Sadoun. Sadoun was ordered
<http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Dallas-Islamic-Leader-Deported-84809767.ht
ml> deported last year. An immigration judge referenced Sadoun's
relationship with Hamas and HLF during a deportation hearing.

Ghassan Elashi, listed as an official on CAIR-Texas' 1998 incorporation
documents, was
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/documents/case_docs/962.pdf> convicted
in the HLF case and sentenced to 65 years in prison. According to a
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/documents/case_docs/728.pdf>
superseding indictment in the case, Elashi's illicit activity began in
October 1997, before he signed off on the CAIR documents, and continued
until charges were brought by the U.S. in 2004.

Ahmad and the CAIR organization itself were
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/documents/case_docs/423.pdf#page=5>
named as an unindicted co-conspirators (UCC) in the HLF prosecution.

One of CAIR's main
<http://www.cair.com/GovernmentRelations/IssuesandLegislation/NoDayinCourt.a
spx> talking points regarding the UCC list has been that being named a UCC
"is not a pronouncement of any guilt or even guilt by association." Perhaps.
But those most familiar with the evidence have reached different
conclusions. The FBI decided it no longer considered CAIR to be an "
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/documents/misc/265.pdf> appropriate
liaison partner," and would not "until we can resolve whether there
continues to be a connection between CAIR or its executives and HAMAS."

And the presiding judge, after seeing all the evidence,
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/documents/case_docs/1425.pdf#page=15>
ruled that there was "ample evidence to establish the associations of CAIR
.with HLF, the Islamic Association for Palestine ("IAP"), and with Hamas."

Soon after the FBI's announcement on contact with CAIR, Ahmad announced that
he was retiring as CAIR's chairman emeritus. That doesn't seem to have
mended CAIR's relations with the FBI. Last month, FBI Director Robert
Mueller
<http://www.newson6.com/story/14328429/cair-says-fbi-cutting-ties-hurts-effo
rts-in-local-communities?redirected=true> confirmed the FBI's policy towards
CAIR still stands, noting that the problem is the group's "national
leadership."

Read the Investigative Project on Terrorism's full report on the HLF
evidence connected to Omar Ahmad
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/documents/misc/635.pdf> here.

 <http://familysecuritymatters.org/> FamilySecurityMatters.org Contributor
<http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/authors/id.1/author_detail.asp> Steve
Emerson is an internationally recognized expert on terrorism and national
security and the author of five books on these subjects, most recently
"Jihad Incorporated: A Guide to Militant Islam in the US." Steve also writes
for the Counterterrorism Blog and he is the CEO of the
<http://www.investigativeproject.org/> Investigative Project on Terrorism.

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.