Distilling The Facts About Securing The Southwestern Border With Mexico Can
Be Tricky

Submitted by  <http://nationalparkstraveler.com/users/kurt-repanshek> Kurt
Repanshek on April 24, 2011 - 1:32am

What is the truth about the ongoing battles over securing the Southwestern
border against drug runners and illegal aliens?

There is no doubt that there are serious issues along the U.S. border with
Mexico. A ranger at  <http://www.nps.gov/orpi> Organ Pipe Cactus National
Monument, Kris Eggle, was  <http://www.kriseggle.org/kris.htm> shot and
killed in August 2002 by members of a Mexian drug cartel, and a prominent
<http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/immigration/apx-AZBorder-Rancher-Killi
ng_12142919-03262011> Arizona rancher was killed in March 2010, possibly by
an illegal immigrant.

But gauging the success, or lack thereof, that the U.S. Border Patrol is
having can be difficult depending on who is talking.

U.S. Rep. Rob Bishop's continued targeting of environmental laws -- the
Endangered Species Act, the Wilderness Act, the National Environmental
Policy Act -- he maintains are preventing the Border Patrol from securing
the Southwestern border raise conflicting accounts and even accusations that
the U.S. Department of Homeland Security sees the issue as a "cash cow" not
to be corralled.

Most recently, the Utah Republican solicited testimony from individuals who
claim the Department of Homeland Security has no interest in securing the
border because it would greatly diminish its budget.

Contrasting those positions offered at an April 15 hearing chaired by Rep.
Bishop were officials from the Border Patrol, Interior Department, and U.S.
Government Accountability Office who not only said environmental laws are
not impeding efforts, but that success is being met in stemming both the
flow of illegals and the environmental degredation they've caused.

Coming away from that hearing, Rep. Bishop in his
<http://naturalresources.house.gov/News/DocumentSingle.aspx?DocumentID=23726
5> public statements dismissed the viewpoints of the Border Patrol, Interior
Department, and Government Accountability Office.

"It is exceptionally clear after hearing today's testimony that significant
limitations continue to be placed on the U.S. Border Patrol's access to some
of the most highly trafficked areas along the border," he said.
"Environmental policies cannot take precedent over the safety and security
of all Americans and that is exactly what is occurring today. In order for
the Border Patrol to be as effective as possible in deterring and
apprehending criminals they need to have routine access to our federal
lands. The reality is that many parts of the U.S. along the southern border
region are too dangerous for Americans to enter because they are overrun
with drug traffickers and human smugglers. This is unacceptable and I plan
to ensure that law enforcement is no longer hindered from doing their jobs
to keep Americans safe."

Whether Congressman Bishop is foremost concerned with border security, or
sees the issue as a tool to undo some of the country's key environmental
laws, is debateable. But the wide range of opinions over the security of the
border can at times make it seem as if two different situations are being
discussed.

"It would have been impossible to win World War II if the military had been
forced to comply with current laws such as the National Environmental Policy
Act, Endangered Species Act, Clean Water Act and dozens of other laws
enacted by Congress after World War II," testified James Chilton, Jr., an
Arizona rancher whose land runs along the border. "The construction of
thousands of military bases, airfields, port facilities, training facilities
and ammunition storage areas inside the United States would have been
delayed for years. There is no way the war would have been won if the
military had been obliged to complete endless Environmental Impact
Statements, fund or carry out mitigation projects and suffer through years
of radical environmental corporations' lawsuits and appeals. We must not tie
up our national defense at the border with red tape.

"National Security demands that drug traffickers, terrorists and
undocumented aliens be prevented from entering the United States at the
border. Currently, on our ranch these people often travel 10 to 20 miles
inside our country before the Border Patrol attempts to apprehend them," he
continued. "We have heard that, a few years ago, the Border Patrol found
seven backpacks near our ranch which contained Yemeni passports. Were the
owners of the backpacks tourists or terrorists? We understand that
significant numbers of persons apprehended--the ones who are caught--are not
just Mexican citizens looking for work. The entrants include others with
various motives. We strongly believe the Border Patrol must CONTROL THE
BORDER AT THE BORDER."

>From the viewpoint of George Zachary Taylor, who helped found the National
Association of Former Border Patrol Officers, government agencies have no
deep interest in winning the battle because they'd lose funding.

"From a strictly political and agency management point of view, why would
(U.S. Commissioner of Customs and Border ProtectionCommissioner Alan) Bersin
or (DHS) Secretary (Janet) Napolitano want to solve the illegal immigration
situation in the United States and jeopardize a significant part of their
budget, especially when they see the escalating situation as an opportunity
to justify increased funding?" Mr. Taylor asked in his testimony.
"Managerially speaking, to DHS, isn't illegal immigration a 'cash cow'?
Without illegal immigration, how large would the DHS budget be?"

Against those sentiments, Rep. Bishop and others on his subcommittee heard
testimony from agency officials who said environmental laws are not impeding
them and that successes are being counted.

"While there is still work to be done, every key measure shows we are making
significant progress along the Southwest border. Border Patrol apprehensions
have decreased 36 percent in the past two years, and are less than a third
of what they were at their peak," testified Ronald Vitiello, deputy chief of
the Border Patrol. "We have matched these decreases in apprehensions with
increases in seizures of cash, drugs, and weapons. These numbers demonstrate
the effectiveness of our layered approach to security. Violent crime in
border communities has remained flat or fallen in the past decade, and some
of the safest communities in America are at the border."

Anu K. Mittal, the director for Natural Resources and Environment at the
Government Accountability Office, testified that a 2006 memorandum of
understanding between the various agencies -- Border Patrol, U.S. Forest
Service, U.S. Bureau of Land Management, and Interior Department -- has
greatly helped improve Border Patrol access to federal lands along the
border.

"For example, Border Patrol and land managers in Arizona used the 2006
memorandum of understanding to set the terms for reporting Border Patrol
off-road vehicle incursions in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, as well
as for developing strategies for interdicting undocumented aliens closer to
the border in the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge and facilitating
Border Patrol access in the San Bernardino National Wildlife Refuge," the
GAO official testified. "In addition, we found that guidance provided by the
2006 memorandum of understanding has facilitated local agreements between
the Border Patrol and land management agencies. For example, for the
Coronado National Forest in Arizona, Border Patrol and the Forest Service
developed a coordinated strategic plan that sets forth conditions for
improving and maintaining roads and locating helicopter landing zones in
wilderness areas, among other issues."

The hearing was just the latest effort by the Utah Republican to raise
congressional opposition to the ESA, the Wilderness Act, and the National
Environmental Policy Act when it comes to securing the Southwestern border.

The congressman's claims about the barriers environmental regulations have
in the Border Patrol's activities, however, have been largely dismissed in
the past in two GAO studies. In one, which
<http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com/2010/11/gao-report-environmental-laws-
dont-greatly-impede-border-security-southwest7175> the Republican
specifically requested, the GAO found that while these regulations at times
led to delays and restrictions for Border Patrol agents in accessing federal
lands, "22 of the 26 Border Patrol stations reported that the border
security status of their area of operation has not been affected by land
management laws."

A far greater problem, the agents-in-charge told the GAO investigators, is
the lay of the land in the Southwest. And while "four patrol
agents-in-charge reported that delays and restrictions negatively affected
their ability to achieve or maintain operational control, they have either
not requested resources to facilitate increased or timelier access or have
had their requests denied by senior Border Patrol officials, who said that
other needs were greater priorities for the station or sector."

While the second GAO report, issued in November, pointed to a continued lack
of coordination among the various agencies tasked with securing the border,
in mid-January a multi-agency endeavor, Operation Trident Surge, seemed to
show those problems were, if not in the past, being addressed.

"Operation Trident Surge was a 60-day joint patrol operation between Border
Patrol and the DOI, and that just wrapped up on March 1," John Wessels,
director of the Park Service's Intermountain Region, told theTraveler on
Friday. "That was a significant demonstration of what a unified command
approach to Southwest border operations looks like. We had Park Service law
enforcement officers engaged in that."

During that two-month operation agents apprehended drug runners and human
smugglers, heightened law-enforcement visibility on the landscape, and flew
aerial reconnaissance and patrol missions, among other tasks, according to
Park Service officials.

Mr. Wessels said the operation "was a genuine, positive success in terms of
that ability to pull together in a unifed way law enforcement rangers,
Border Patrol agents, and others to work toward common purposes, whether
it's securing the border for employee visitor safety or resource
protection."

At the same time, the regional director acknowledged that 55 percent of the
330,688.86 acres that lie within Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument
currently remain closed to the public due to safety issues.

"That's the only park that has that kind of closure," he noted. "I'll tell
you, our law enforcement staff there, working in collaboration with Border
Patrol, are reclaiming the backcountry and making it safe for visitors and
staff. So I think that's something that we're focusing on and making decent
progress on, because of the collaboration with Border Patrol."

Are things perfect along the border? No, said Mr. Wessels. But to suggest
that the government agencies are prolonging the effort simply to keep the
money flowing is " a cynical approach to the whole Southwst Border issue,"
he said.

"I think the bottom line is all of us would like to have a secure border,
and all of us would like to have (natural) resources that are preserved and
protected into perpetuity," the Park Service official said.

"One other point," he added. "The bottom line is that our law enforcement
rangers throughout the border parks, and I think all of our staff who work
down there, for those folks who are in harm's way, are commiting themselves
to resource protection, sometimes at personal risk. And I think that
perspective that this is just something that we're doing to keep the money
coming in is tremendously disrespectful to the people who are committing
their lives to preserving and protecting the national parks."

http://nationalparkstraveler.com/2011/04/distilling-facts-about-securing-sou
thwestern-border-mexico-can-be-tricky7999

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.