http://propagandistmag.com/2011/04/26/education-jihad

An Education In Jihad

Posted by Jonathon Narvey

At Jihadi High School
<http://www.newsweek.com/2011/04/24/the-jihadi-high-school.html> , your
teachers praise the glories of jihad and recall Afghanistan's long history
of resistance to foreign occupiers.

"I send my kid to get an Islamic education, and Hekmatyar gives me someone
who wants to be a jihadi or a suicide bomber," one puzzled parent reports.

The school he is referring to in the Shamshatoo refugee camp in Afghanistan
is pumping out recruits for jihad. The students learn nothing about reading,
writing and arithmetic and everything there is to know about the best way to
murder an Infidel (whether that means NATO troops, Afghan security forces or
just plain old uppity Afghan heathens who don't follow Taliban standards of
piousness).

The camp and the school is wholly owned by the warlord fiefdom of Gulbuddin
Hekmatyar -- otherwise known as the "Butcher of Kabul", and not because he
has a talent for serving up fine roast beef. He is perhaps the most
successful -- well, brutal -- brigand in Afghanistan, with ties to
Pakistan's nefarious ISI, known for attacking aid convoys, coalition forces
and his fellow muhajeddin with equal ferocity, whenever it suits him.

Another suffering parent has watched his child transform into yet another
zombie for jihad. The Taliban's recruiting of children as cannon fodder in
the war against the Afghan state is reprehensible.

These kinds of schools, widespread through Afghanistan, Pakistan and
elsewhere, take advantage of two endemic circumstances: hard-scrabble
poverty and a perception that an "Islamic education" may be better than what
students receive in ordinary schools, and certainly better than no education
at all.

As we've seen over these last decades, parents get what they pay for.

A best case scenario is a graduate with a deep understanding of the Koran
who is completely unqualified for just about any professional job that might
pay a living wage. This makes him a candidate for begging for change on the
corner or perhaps joining up with the Taliban. In the worst case scenario,
the student goes off to fight coalition troops long before he even graduates
and spends his last seconds on the wrong end of an M-16.

We've often heard that education is the key to turning Afghanistan around.
It is. But half a world away, we've been hearing about these madrassas
turning out terrorists, thugs and bums for decades. Surely, parents who live
just around the block from these "institutions" can figure out what's in
store before their kids are made into monsters. They can't all be dupes.
They know what happens.

Yes, the Taliban are evil for setting up these schools as jihadist
recruiting centres. And of course, the Afghan government is at fault for
allowing this parallel system to exist, ceding sovereignty to maniacs. But
at what point can we call the parents to account and say "you enrolled your
kid in a school that churns out jihadi cannon fodder every single month.
This insanity has been happening since before the Taliban were in charge in
Kabul. What did you think was going to happen?"

The father mentioned earlier was himself a teacher. He had to know this
much: you don't become an engineer without learning math. You don't become a
professor without reading literature (other than the Koran). And if you want
to have a future in this world, you don't spend the majority of your time
learning about the best way to die to get into Paradise.

Can Afghanistan be saved? The question is very much tied to whether parents
will continue to willingly send their children to get an education in jihad

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.