Get rid of destructive human rights commissions

BY KATHY SHAIDLE, CANADA.COMAPRIL 26, 2011

Kathy Shaidle: "We Canadians think our culture is superior to the more
litigious one in the United States. But are tens of thousands of dollars
doled out for 'hurt feelings' anything to feel smug about?"

Did you hear the one about the country that fined a stand-up comic $15,000
for heckling back at a heckler?

Where? North Korea? One of the "dumber" regions of the U.S.?

No and no. The answer is: Canada.

On April 21, a verdict came down in a human rights tribunal case dating back
to 2007. That was when Guy Earle, a stand-up comic, got into an altercation
with a couple who'd dropped in on his open mike night.

Lorna Pardy and her (then) partner exchanged words with Earle while he was
onstage. According to Earle, Pardy threw a drink at him. He broke her
sunglasses and remarked upon Pardy's sexual orientation after she and her
partner began making out in the front row.

It wasn't pretty and it sure wasn't comedy. Sounds like a matter for
management, maybe the police. But the British Columbia Human Rights
Commission?

Pardy thought so. She complained to the BCHRC about Earle's "homophobia,"
insisting she'd subsequently suffered "post-traumatic stress disorder."

Now Guy Earle is out $15,000, the club owner another seven grand, and both
men have already spent thousands in legal fees.

Pardy? Her legal fees are covered by you, the taxpayer. That's just one of
the quirks that make Canada's unelected, $200-million a year human rights
ideological complex a blot on our international reputation.

Another commission, in Alberta, tried to prosecute Ezra Levant, who now
broadcasts on Sun News, for printing the so-called "Mohammed cartoons."
Levant's legal bills topped six figures; I imagine Earle's are comparable.
Earle now says he wants to appeal to the Supreme Court - if he can afford
to. He has a new baby to feed.

So my challenge to Canadian candidates is: abolish the corrupt, costly
state-censorship bureaucratic apparatus we call Human Rights Commissions.

When we encourage citizens to pose as victims with chronically "hurt
feelings," and reward them with thousand-dollar settlements for whining and
tattling on each other, the social fabric is torn.

There's a chill in the Not So Great White North, all right. Watch what you
say, comedians. Careful what you publish, publishers. Be "nice," everybody.
Or else.

We Canadians think our culture is superior to the more litigious one in the
United States. But are tens of thousands of dollars doled out for "hurt
feelings" anything to feel smug about?

Alas, I know, having covered these cases for years, that most of my fellow
Canadians - hooked up to a lifelong I.V. drip of political correctness and
"do something!" do-gooding - are nodding and answering "yes."

Kathy Shaidle blogs at  <http://www.fivefeetoffury.com/> FiveFeetOfFury.com
- a blog, a lawsuit, a way of life -- now in its 11th year. Her latest book
is The Tyranny of Nice (Interim: 2008).

C Copyright (c) Postmedia News

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.