http://af.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idAFTRE73Q27R20110427

Recaptured Afghan insurgents tell of tunnel escape

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:30am GMT

 <http://af.reuters.com/articlePrint?articleId=AFTRE73Q27R20110427> Print |
<javascript:singlePageView();> Single Page

[ <javascript:sizeDown();> -]  <javascript:resetCurrentsize();> Text [
<javascript:sizeUp();> +]

 <javascript:launchArticleSlideshow();> Photo

1 of 1Full Size <javascript:launchArticleSlideshow();>

By Hamid Shalizi

KABUL (Reuters) - Recaptured Taliban fighters who escaped from one of
Afghanistan's most secure prisons during a mass breakout have described how
insurgent comrades outside built a sophisticated tunnel with lighting and
piped air to take them to freedom.

Afghan authorities and foreign troops have launched a manhunt after Monday's
escape in Kandahar by almost 500 fighters, which President Hamid Karzai's
office called a "disaster." Seventy-one have been recaptured so far.

Several of those fighters, now back in prison, have told how the spectacular
escape was staged, with their cell doors opened in darkness by insurgents
armed with AK-47 rifles.

"When I went out the Taliban told me 'you are free and go wherever you
want'. The tunnel was very bright and we had to crawl to get out," said one
recaptured fighter named Wali January

"There was plastic pipe on the side of the tunnel and on the other side was
an electricity cable with thousands of bulbs. I think the pipe was for
breathing air," Jan told journalists at a media conference organised by
Afghan intelligence officials.

Justice Minister Habibullah Ghaleb, in a letter to Karzai, has laid much of
the blame for the breakout from Sarposa jail on failings by foreign and
Afghan security forces, speculating also that it was an inside job.

The house where the entrance to the 320-metre (960-ft) long tunnel began lay
within sight of the high-security prison and was searched not long before
the breakout, Ghaleb said. The Taliban have said the tunnel took five months
to build.

Jan said there were around 20 prisoners in his cell when the door was opened
for them. They then crawled along the tunnel's dirt floor, a journey which
took around 30 minutes in oppressive and crowded conditions.

"Some were terrified and didn't want to go out. I crawled through the tunnel
and my clothes were covered in mud. I was a complete stranger to the area
outside," he said.

NO SHOES

Another escapee named Samiullah said he had not been an insurgent and had
known nothing of the escape plan, but had been forced at gunpoint into the
tunnel's entrance through a hole in the concrete cell floor.

"We were asleep when Taliban woke us up around midnight and said: 'Get out,
if you don't we will shoot you dead'," he said.

Jan said that after emerging from the tunnel in darkness he had tried to
reach his cousin's house in nearby Kandahar city to get hold of fresh
clothing and food.

But he was soon spotted by security forces who became suspicious because he
was barefoot and his clothes had been caked in mud, he said. Authorities
issued an alert immediately after the breakout warning most escapees did not
have shoes.

The jail governor, General Ghulam Dastgir, said on Tuesday that many of the
prisoners still on the run had likely fled to safe havens in neighbouring
Pakistan.

Security has been tightened along the often-porous 2,400 km (1,490 miles)
border and Dastgir said biometric data held on all prisoners at the jail
would help in the capture of others.

Many of those still on the run are experienced fighters and their breakout
is a serious blow coming just weeks ahead of the summer fighting months. It
also came after a concerted NATO and Afghan campaign to capture militants
over the past year.

Afghanistan's government has launched a full investigation into the
breakout, the second in three years at the jail, which Karzai's chief
spokesman said had exposed serious holes in the country's security
preparedness.

In 2008, around 1,000 prisoners including Taliban fighters escaped after a
truck bomb blew open the jail gates. That mass escape quickly led to a surge
in fighting.

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.