Please   find below the opening grafs of my latest   story for the Washington
Times, about the use of Twitter by Taliban and al-Qaeda.

It appeared on A1 of   today's paper, and you may link to the whole story on
the Web here:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/apr/28/terrorists-discover-uses-for-twitter/

You can find a complete archive of all my articles on my staff page,   here:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/staff/shaun-waterman/

As ever, feedback is more than welcome and if you wish to   stop receiving
these occasional alerts, just let me know by reply   e-mail.

Sincerely

Shaun Waterman
Reporter
The Washington Times
  Terrorists discover uses for Twitter
  By Shaun Waterman - The Washington Times

Banned from Facebook and censored on YouTube, al Qaeda and Taliban   jihadists
are turning to Twitter to spread their propaganda in a new   social media front
in the terrorists’ war against America.

Extremist   groups long have used the Internet to distribute videos, audio
recordings and other messages. But this is the first time they have   tried to
establish a presence on the microblogging site Twitter, which   has proved a
valuable organizing tool to the young activists behind the   revolutions in the
Arab world.

“Up until now, we haven’t seen the   [extremist] groups themselves active in
this space,” said William   McCants, an analyst with the Center for Naval
Analyses and founder of   the blog Jihadica.com, which reports on extremist
messaging.

“The   question is: Is this the start of a trend, or is it an anomaly?” he
said, adding that individual supporters of extremist groups appear to be
using Twitter.

The Twitter feed @alemarahweb posts links to the   official website of the
Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, as the Taliban   calls itself. The feed, in
Pashto - the language spoken in the Taliban   heartland of southern Afghanistan
and the tribal regions of Pakistan -   has been active since December and has
posted more than 670 tweets, as   the 140-character Twitter messages are
called.

Another Twitter   account, @al_nukhba, was set up last month. It posts links to
an   Arabic-language website called Nukhba al-Ilam al-Jihadi, or Jihadi Media
Elite (JME). The website features Arabic transcripts of audio and video
messages from al Qaeda and its affiliates in Yemen, North Africa and   Iraq,
said Christopher Anzalone, who identified the feeds.

Mr.   Anzalone, a doctorate student at the Institute of Islamic Studies at
McGill University in Montreal who studies Muslim political movements’   use of
multimedia, said the phenomenon is new.

“There are a small   number of [extremist media] outfits with Twitter
accounts,” he said,   calling the groups’ use of the service “very nascent.”

Whether the groups continue to tweet, in part, “depends on how Twitter
responds,” he said.

“It’s   hard to tell who exactly is posting [the tweets],” Mr. Anzalone said,
noting that the Taliban feeds only posted links to the group’s official   site.

To read the rest, click here:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2011/apr/28/terrorists-discover-uses-for-twitter/

The information contained in this electronic transmission is intended for the
exclusive use of the
individuals to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is
privileged and
confidential, the disclosure of which is prohibited by law. If the reader of
this transmission
is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
distribution or copying
of this communication is strictly prohibited. In addition, any unauthorized
copying, disclosure or
distribution of the material in this e-mail and any attachments is strictly
forbidden.

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.