http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/04/petraeus-is-slave-sharia-islam-afghanist
an

Right-Wing Pundit: Petraeus Is a Slave to Sharia

- By Adam Weinstein <http://motherjones.com/authors/adam-weinstein>

| Thu Apr. 28, 2011 2:12 PM PDT

Photo illustration/Petraeus: Washington Examiner
<http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/04/report-whi
te-house-considering-gen-petraeus-next-cia-director> ; Dome of the Rock:
Fotopedia
<http://i.images.cdn.fotopedia.com/flickr-3213526464-original/World_Heritage
_Sites/Middle_East/Jerusalem_Site_proposed_by_Jordan/Old_City_of_Jerusalem_a
nd_its_Walls/Dome_of_the_Rock/Dome_of_the_Rock-Islam-original.jpg>

There are plenty of reasons to be skeptical of Gen. David Petraeus' upcoming
job move from Kabul to the CIA: his cult of personality; his overselling of
progress in Afghanistan; his escalation of the air war
<http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/04/drones-rejoice-petraeus-to-head-cia
-panetta-to-pentagon/>  and violent conventional tactics; the idea that
intelligence policy might become more militarized, and the military might
become spookier. But here's a novel criticism of the golden general from
right-wing Islamophobe Frank Gaffney, he of the "ground zero mosque
<http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/03/peter-kings-radicalization-hearings-exp
lained> " freakout, the military logo freakout
<http://motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2010/02/fun-frank> , and the Islamic law
freakout <http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/03/great-sharia-freakout-and-gop>
: He's a mind slave to sharia law!
<http://thinkprogress.org/2011/04/28/frank-gaffney-david-petraeus-sharia/>
ThinkProgress reports on Gaffney's response in a recent Q&A at Liberty
University:

Let me just mention several different ways in which this kind of influence
operation is being run against those sorts of target sets...I'm sure most of
you witnessed General David Petraeus, the much admired military leader,
responding to the Quran burning down in Florida by Pastor Terry Jones.
Saying that the holy Quran - repeatedly - the holy Quran must not be
desecrated, and in other ways, suggesting that what we are doing here is a
kind of submission to this program, lest we give offense, which is a
blasphemy and a capital crime under Sharia.

Man, is that a high bar for true-blue Americanness. Petraeus must be asking
himself: How many Afghan villages does a guy have to flatten
<http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2011/01/25-tons-of-bombs-wipes-afghan-town-
off-the-map/>  to prove he's no fan of Islamic jurisprudence?

<http://motherjones.com/mojo/2011/04/petraeus-is-slave-sharia-islam-afghanis
tan>

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.