http://www.geostrategy-direct.com/geostrategy-direct/secure/2011/05_04/3.asp

Bahrain may seize Iran assets to retaliate against 'sustained campaign'

ABU DHABI - Bahrain has been examining options to retaliate against what
officials termed Iranian intervention.

Parliamentarians have called on the Gulf Cooperation Council kingdom to
crack down on the Iranian presence in Bahrain. They said the Sunni regime
should seize Iranian property, including the embassy in Manama.

http://www.geostrategy-direct.com/geostrategy-direct/images/2011/hossein.jpg

Iran lawmakers like Hossein Sobhani-Nia have threatened retaliation if
Bahrain closes Iran's Embassy in Manama.

  _____

"Iran gave parliament, a representative of the people, no choice but to
demand the closure of its premises, which should be allocated for other
[Bahraini] government use," Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee chairman
Khamis Al Rumaihi said.

[On April 20, a Bahraini was charged with spying for Iran's Islamic
Revolutionary Guard Corps. The High Criminal Court has also charged two
Iranian fugitives with being part of the alleged cell, said to have sold
military data to Iran between 2002 and 2010.]

In a statement to Bahrain's media, Al Rumaihi said Manama could no longer
tolerate Iran's support of the Shi'ite revolt. The parliamentary chairman
said any Bahraini seizure of Iranian assets could be followed by other GCC
states.

"Bahrain is the first, and there are other GCC countries that are planning
to follow suit," Al Rumaihi told the Gulf Daily News on April 19.

Parliament has already voted to seize the Iranian embassy in the Mahouz
district and use the space for the Manama government. The proposal has been
relayed to Bahrain's Cabinet.

Officials said Bahrain has captured weapons shipments smuggled from Iran as
well as arrested suspected members of the Iranian-sponsored Hizbullah. They
said Saudi Arabia was also considering severing diplomatic relations with
Teheran.

"We have never seen a sustained campaign from Iran on Bahrain and the Gulf
as we've seen in the past two months," Bahraini Foreign Minister Khaled Bin
Ahmed Al Khalifa said. "Usually it's short-lived and then they back off.
This time it's something different."

Parliament, in the April 18 vote, cited Iran's campaign to destabilize
Bahrain and its Shi'ite majority. Deputies accused the Iranian media of
seeking to foment unrest with support from officials in Teheran.

Bahrain has called for a GCC confederation that would include a common
military and security policy to battle Iran. Officials said Saudi Arabia
supported this proposal.

"We wrote a letter to the secretary-general of the United Nations, and in
that letter we have a full attachment of the threats and of all the evidence
we have against Iran and Hizbullah," Al Khalifa said.

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.