TIMES

-

The Washington Times

7:35 p.m., Monday, May 2, 2011

 Mugshot
<http://media.washtimes.com/media/image/2011/05/02/b1-osama-ah-_1_s160x247.jpg?50033e8998c60f6320db92fdca31e7e3ba56373e>
 Illustration: Osama bin Laden by Alexander Hunter for The Washington Times

It can be awkward when a dove tries to pass himself off as a war hero. From the
tone of President Obama's speech Sunday night, it'd be easy to conclude he was
the one who came up with the idea that America should hunt down and kill Osama
bin Laden. He also made it sound like he was the one who formulated the
takedown plan. We can look forward in coming days to details of the actual
operation, emphasizing Mr. Obama's intimate involvement.

"Shortly after taking office," the president said, "I directed Leon Panetta,
the director of the CIA, to make the capture or death of Osama bin Laden the
highest priority of the war on terror." Of course, this had been a high
priority since shortly after Sept. 11, 2001. "I want justice," President George
W. Bush said on September 17. "And there's an old poster out West ... I recall,
that said, 'Wanted, Dead or Alive.' "

Sunday's only mention of Mr. Bush came when Mr. Obama defended himself by
quipping that even his predecessor insisted America isn't at war with Islam.
Left unsaid was how Mr. Bush setting the groundwork for the conduct of the war
on terrorism provided Mr. Obama with the tools to get this job done. The
national unity, sense of purpose and offensive posture were largely the result
of Mr. Bush's decisive action and strong leadership following national tragedy.
Had Mr. Obama been in Mr. Bush's position on Sept. 11, 2001, bin Laden would
still be alive today, and probably winning.

© Copyright 2011 The Washington Times, LLC.
<http://license.icopyright.net/3.7280?icx_id=/news/2011/may/2/no-class-obama-snubs-bush-praises-himself/>
 Click here for reprint permission.

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.