http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/04/29/santorum_sharia_exist
ential_threat

Friday, Apr 29, 2011 12:17 ET

Santorum calls sharia "existential threat" to U.S.

Likely 2012 hopeful also offers his take on what sharia actually means Video

By Justin Elliott <http://www.salon.com/author/justin_elliott/index.html>

Santorum calls
sharia

AP

Rick Santorum

In his big foreign policy speech
<http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11119/1142715-84.stm>  yesterday, Rick
Santorum declared that "sharia and its violent iteration jihadism" pose an
"existential threat" to the United States. That's standard fare from
Santorum, but a more interesting moment came in the Q&A after the speech,
when the former Pennsylvania senator was asked to elaborate.

That's when Santorum did what so many
<http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/04/07/sharia_nebraska_act_
for_america>  Republican lawmakers are unable to do, which is to offer an
explanation of what, in his view, sharia actually means.

The question came from the Daily Caller's Chris Moody
<http://twitter.com/#%21/chris_moody> :

MOODY: You mentioned that sharia law is an existential threat to the United
States. There seems to be some confusion among the general public on how to
define sharia law. How do you define it and can you point to some instances
within the United States [where] it's taking over?

SANTORUM: If you look at an instance where it's taking over, you have
already in the financial sector sharia-compliant finance. [That's] where
funds and people who are doing investments are deferring to people put up by
groups -- some of which are, let's put it this way, suspect -- as the
authority as to what these funds can be invested in in a sharia-compliant
way. Investment houses and others, banks, are paying in some cases
less-than-reputable people a lot of money to give their blessing for their
types of investments. That's a problem. That's a way of ... depending on
what they're investing in and who they're paying to give their blessing
could be ways in which resources go to places that I'm not too sure are
necessarily in our national security interests.

Here's a primer <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/5064058.stm>  on the
Islamic finance Santorum is talking about. It often involves mundane matters
like mortgages
<http://prospect.org/cs/articles?article=does_pawlenty_have_a_shariah_proble
m>  structured in a way to take interest -- seen by many Muslims as
prohibited -- out of the equation.

Santorum continued:

You also have situations where you you have movements in this country to
cordon off and create family courts or other types of laws where Muslims are
only held account to religious law as opposed to the civil laws in this
country. That has gone on as we know extensively in Europe, but it's coming
here and it is actually being advocated for in this country. So there are
concrete examples of how that is occurring in America today. I would argue
clearly -- I'm not making the argument that America is by any way in the
lead on this. The bigger problems and the more notable cases are clearly in
places where the higher concentration of Muslims exists and that's clearly
in Western Europe and not here.

Santorum did not offer any of those "concrete examples" of some kind of
sharia advocacy movement in America. He was then asked again to define
sharia:

Sharia is a code, a civil code -- both how the government is to operate
[and] things as mundane as personal hygiene, religious practices. It is made
up of various texts -- not just the Quran -- that is a code by which Muslims
have to live.

Based on previous
<http://www.salon.com/news/politics/war_room/2011/02/26/sharia_the_real_stor
y>  reporting <http://www.theawl.com/2011/03/what-is-sharia-law> , that's
not a bad definition of sharia. Though Santorum missed the crucial fact that
there are many, widely varying forms and interpretations of sharia. And less
clear is why Santorum believes sharia -- by his own definition -- poses an
existential threat to America.

Here's the exchange:

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/RickSanto/start/2738/stop/2920

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.