Of course there's no good reason for Muslims to be in this country, much
less flying around on airlines with normal people.

http://www.kpbs.org/news/2011/may/31/terror-watch-lists-grow-reasons-many-it
-remain-mys/

Growing Terror Watch List Flags People In Error

By Ruxandra Guidi <http://www.kpbs.org/staff/ruxandra-guidi/>

May 31, 2011

SAN DIEGO - His story is straight out of Franz Kafka's
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Castle_%28novel%29> "The Castle" -- the
story of a man getting lost in a labyrinth of government bureaucracy to the
point that it takes over his life, and drives him mad.

For Shuaib Azizi, it all started in 2007. Azizi is an Afghan-born U.S.
citizen. A sharply-dressed, upper-middle class real estate broker from a San
Diego suburb. He would regularly cross the border from San Diego to Tijuana
to show properties to clients. One day, he was stopped and searched by
Customs and Border Protection, and then it began happening over and over
again.

"Sometimes they hold me there for as much as six hours," said Azizi. "Then
five, four hours, like two or three hours was just normal."

Azizi wasn't given a reason for why he was being stopped, nor what
government agency he could turn to for answers. Soon after, he was being
detained at airports, too.

"They would search me," he went on. "Everything: my pockets, my body. They
would take everything out, my wallet, my belt--you name it. And then after
you sit down, it would mean just waiting there for hours and hours and
hours, until you'd get a clearance from Washington."

As the problem persisted, Azizi's relationship with his clients began to
suffer. Eventually, a Customs and Border Protection agent hinted to Azizi
that his name matched the name of a terrorist suspect in Afghanistan. In
desperation, Azizi sent letters of complaint to local, state and federal
officials. Republican Congressman, Brian Bilbray <http://bilbray.house.gov/>
, received one of Azizi's letters and began an inquiry.

"They sent a response back, saying basically, that they can't confirm or
deny why he's being stopped," said Brian Jones, a liaison with the Homeland
Security Department for Congressman Bilbray. "But they told me they would
look into it, and if so, they would make the necessary changes. After that,
I never heard from them again."

But Azizi did hear back. He received a letter from the Department of
Homeland Security, containing what's known as a Traveler Redress Inquiry
<http://www.dhs.gov/files/programs/gc_1169676919316.shtm>  number (TRIP),
which he could show to officials the next time he was stopped. His new TRIP
number would allegedly take care of the problem.

An interview request to the Department of Homeland Security's TRIP program
went unanswered. But the FBI's Terrorist Screening Center
<http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/nsb/tsc> , which manages the terror watch
lists, did respond to our questions. An official who asked to remain
nameless told us "Ninety-nine percent of the people who file a redress form
who believe they are mistakenly on the Terrorist Watch List, have no
connection to the list at all."

In other words, individuals like Azizi may not even be on a terror watch
list after all.

"You want (the list) to be accurate and complete," said Timothy Healy,
Director of the Terrorist Screening Center, during a 2009 interview to Voice
of America. "It's a balancing act between private citizens and their
concerns, and the safety of the United States. And that's a balancing act
that occurs every day."

Since 2005, the number of names on the watch list has expanded from 288,000
in 2005 to a million in 2009, according to an audit
<http://www.gao.gov/htext/d08110.html>  by the Government Accountability
Office.

The ACLU <http://www.aclu.org/technology-and-liberty/watch-lists>  calls
this a "bloated list". Attorney Sean Riordan of the ACLU's San Diego office
believes there are two main things that are problematic with Azizi's case:
if he's on the list, no one knows why, and there's no way to challenge it.

"The government's vision may be completely unreasonable in that case," said
Riordan. "But yet there's very little way to even gather information about
what's happening, let alone to try to frontally attack any errors that the
government might be making."

One recent positive development is that Azizi is no longer being stopped at
the border as much as he used to. Bilbray's office is taking credit for the
change, but in the absence of a transparent process, the real reason remains
a mystery.

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.