O's Constitutional education is sadly lacking.no wonder he doesn't want to
show his law school transcripts and credentials.he probably flunked.

Showdown Over Libya

Posted By Rick Moran On June 3, 2011

In a toughly worded resolution
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/with-showdown-looming-gop-lawmakers-
push-for-measure-disapproving-of-us-role-in-libya/2011/06/02/AGN0mFHH_story.
html>  which the House will vote on Friday, Speaker John Boehner (R-OH) is
demanding that President Obama either seek congressional authorization to
continue US involvement in the NATO-led Libyan operation or determine the
best way to withdraw from the conflict. The resolution states that Obama
failed to give Congress a "compelling rationale" for going to war and
demanded he do so in writing in 14 days. The measure also calls for a ban on
US ground forces in Libya except in cases where an American service member
was in "imminent danger."

The speaker is challenging Obama to comply with the War Powers Act, which
requires the president to get congressional authorization 60 days following
the commitment of troops to a military action. The authorization deadline
passed last month. In addition to demanding a rationale for going to war,
Boehner's resolution supplies a list of 21 questions
<http://thehill.com/news-by-subject/defense-homeland-security/164461-boehner
-drafting-resolution-on-libya>  on Libya where the House is seeking
clarification on the war, "including its goals and objectives, costs and
justification for not seeking congressional authorization."

Boehner's measure was one of three resolutions introduced in the House - all
expressing various degrees of opposition to the president's actions in
taking the US to war without consulting congress. Representative Michael
Turner
<http://thehill.com/news-by-subject/defense-homeland-security/164423-gop-bil
l-disapproving-libya-mission-gains-steam>  introduced a non-binding
resolution that garnered considerable support, expressing disapproval of the
Libyan adventure. And far-left Congressman Dennis Kucinich
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/01/libya-resolution-dennis-kucinich_n
_870105.html> 's resolution calling for an immediate withdrawal of US forces
was pulled from the floor at the last moment on Wednesday night because,
according to Kucinich, there was a chance it might have passed. In fact,
Boehner admitted as much when he told reporters
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/01/libya-resolution-dennis-kucinich_n
_870105.html> , "I think we decided that the House wasn't ready to decide
the question."

Passage of the resolution would have hugely embarrassed the president
internationally, and may have had untoward consequences with our NATO
allies. That's the opinion
<http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110602/ap_on_re_us/us_congress_libya> of
Defense Secretary Robert Gates who said through a spokesman that he
"believes that for the United States, once committed to a NATO operation, to
unilaterally abandon that mission would have enormous and dangerous
long-term consequences."

Boehner echoed those concerns in the Thursday meeting with GOP members,
saying, according to ABC News,
<http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2011/06/house-speaker-john-boehner-throws-
down-the-war-powers-act-gauntlet-on-libya-.html>  "The Kucinich measure will
express our constituents' angst, but it will also have long-term
consequences I believe are unacceptable." The speaker explained that NATO
nations had stood fast with us in Iraq and Afghanistan, and to abandon them
in Libya would mean that the US would have "turned our backs against our
NATO partners who have stuck by us for the last 10 years."

Several members
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/with-showdown-looming-gop-lawmakers-
push-for-measure-disapproving-of-us-role-in-libya/2011/06/02/AGN0mFHH_story_
1.html>  expressed the view that Boehner's presentation on why voting for
the Kucinich resolution would have harmed American interests convinced most
of the caucus to vote for the speaker's alternative. Armed Services
Committee Chairman Rep. Howard "Buck" McKeon (R-CA) said after the meeting
that "He (Boehner) believes we shouldn't try to make political points on
foreign policy."

Boehner felt it necessary to give his caucus an alternative to the
resolution being offered by Kucinich
<http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/56106.html> which "directs the
president to remove the United States armed forces from Libya by not later
than the date that is 15 days after the date of the adoption" of the
measure. Kucinich's resolution would have eventually been voted on anyway
because of its privileged status, so Boehner will bring it to the floor on
Friday along with the GOP alternative.

Before all this legislative maneuvering on Thursday, White House Press
Secretary Jay Carney tried to put the best face
<http://thehill.com/news-by-subject/defense-homeland-security/164457-white-h
ouse-pushes-back-on-efforts-to-end-libya-intervention> on a very touchy
situation for the administration. He told reporters, "We believe that the
policy is working," Carney said. "We believe the goal the president has is
shared by the majority of the members of Congress." He added that the
administration has "consulted Congress every step of the way."

Carney did not mention what "policy" we were implementing in Libya, nor did
he give any evidence that whatever that policy is, that it is working. With
Gaddafi still in power (and no UN authorization to remove him), the rebels
still unable to dislodge him, and the humanitarian cost of this humanitarian
adventure rising daily in dead civilians and destroyed infrastructure, the
failure of President Obama to articulate a clear national interest in
assisting NATO in this intervention is starting to catch up to him. Also,
the fact that the Kucinich resolution demanding an end to the Libyan mission
might have passed raises questions about Carney's statement that the
president's views on Libya are "shared by the majority" on the Hill.

Carney's evasions point up the reason why Congress feels it is necessary to
act. This sort of direct challenge to the president's authority as Commander
in Chief is very rare, but as Speaker Boehner pointed out, the president has
only himself to blame.
<http://thehill.com/news-by-subject/defense-homeland-security/164441-boehner
-says-obama-needs-to-better-explain-us-military-mission>  "I really do
believe that the president needs to speak out, in terms of our mission in
Afghanistan, our mission in Iraq, our mission in Libya and the doubts that
our members have frankly - they are reflecting what they are hearing from
their constituents," said Boehner.

The speaker pointed out
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/01/libya-resolution-dennis-kucinich_n
_870105.html>  that there were several questions that the administration had
failed to address, including, "How is this action consistent with U.S.
national security and policy goals? Who are the opposition? How does Gaddafi
go?" So far, the White House hasn't felt it necessary to respond to those
questions.

Leading Democrats  <http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/56133.html>
think both the Kucinich and Boehner resolutions are unnecessary. Nancy
Pelosi released a statement that said in part, "The resolutions by Speaker
Boehner and Congressman Kucinich, as currently drafted, do not advance our
efforts in the region and send the wrong message to our NATO partners."

But the House Democratic leadership is in the minority. Members have come
back from the Memorial Day recess having gotten an earful of complaints from
their constituents about the 3 wars the US is currently fighting. And there
is little doubt that many in the House view the administration's refusal to
ask for congressional authorization for the Libya operation as an arrogant
affront to the separation of powers that gives Congress a voice in
war-making. Support for the Kucinich withdrawal resolution gave voice to
those feelings and Boehner did a good job in heading off what might have
been a damaging statement of non-support by Congress for our troops and our
alliances.

Can the president ignore Congress and the Boehner resolution if, as
expected, it passes on Friday? There are many on the Hill who will shy away
from a confrontation on the War Powers Act. Boehner himself believes that
<http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/01/libya-resolution-dennis-kucinich_n
_870105.html> "technically," the president is not in violation of the act.
But if Obama gives the House the back of his hand, there is no telling what
might happen. When asked what would happen if the White House doesn't comply
with the resolution, an aide to the speaker pointed out
<http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/02/house-to-vent-anger-over-li
bya/>  that when the 14 day deadline is reached, the defense appropriations
bill will be on the floor at that time. If the GOP wishes, it could cut
funding for the Libya operation then.

But that isn't a likely outcome, given the consequences to our troops
involved in the operation and the ill effect such a vote would have on our
relationship with our NATO allies. Some members might go to court and try
and force White House compliance with the War Powers Act, but it is even
more unlikely that the courts will involve themselves in a dispute between
the executive and legislative branches of government. In short, if the
president fails to comply, it is likely that his arrogance will be rewarded
and nothing will come of it.

Meanwhile, NATO has extended
<http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0611/56005.html> the Libyan mission
another 90 days. But with Gaddafi showing little sign of weakening, and NATO
still refusing to commit ground forces to oust him, it is probable when this
3 month extension is up, another will be forthcoming.

Rick Moran is Blog Editor of  <http://www.americanthinker.com/> The American
Thinker, and Chicago Editor of  <http://pajamasmedia.com/> PJ Media. His
personal blog is  <http://rightwingnuthouse.com/> Right Wing Nuthouse.

  _____

Article printed from FrontPage Magazine: http://frontpagemag.com

URL to article:
http://frontpagemag.com/2011/06/03/congress-and-white-house-in-showdown-over
-libya/

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.