<http://memri.convio.net/site/R?i=B956w3OFEwzmxCFFfvSK8A..> If you are
having trouble viewing this email click here.

 MEMRI - The Middle East Media Research Institute
<http://www.memritv.org/newsletter/memri/memri_banner.png>

 <http://memri.convio.net/site/R?i=JZk9YOiPZFTxg2zsqEnf5Q..>

MEMRI Daily: June 3, 2011

  <http://www.memritv.org/newsletter/memri/red_separator_line.png>

 <http://memri.convio.net/site/R?i=Txi3q2bnFnnlcSPqeFRf2g..> MEMRI |
<http://memri.convio.net/site/R?i=1lfsyAzD0Md00AxvNToE1w..> MEMRI TV |
<http://memri.convio.net/site/R?i=dZr4D565OvSHBMGzDWlNJw..> THE MEMRI BLOG |
<http://memri.convio.net/site/R?i=9EBI6fEN7TiQo7B6_bnMmA..> MEMRI ECONOMIC
BLOG |  <http://memri.convio.net/site/R?i=en33VQpQCrjBoVriVRaWBA..> JIHAD
AND TERRORISM THREAT MONITOR

 <http://memri.convio.net/site/R?i=tdwpZAw8K8vbKR_SRaedSg..> TURKISH MEDIA
PROJECT |  <http://memri.convio.net/site/R?i=xREZrZUgvIDLC4Ik6PeZxQ..> IRAN
BLOG |  <http://memri.convio.net/site/R?i=zkXRWS8_yxU1fwWC7bVwSg..> THE
MIDDLE EAST CULTURE BLOG|
<http://memri.convio.net/site/R?i=ICQLqzoe4M_R0g7agpRQsg..> THE URDU-PASHTU
MEDIA BLOG

  <http://www.memritv.org/newsletter/memri/red_separator_line.png>

 <http://memri.convio.net/site/R?i=jUrJ3ZRO7v9yGT4O2HWeBg..> Subscribe a
Friend to Free Email List

 <http://memri.convio.net/site/R?i=2v9nWcPiaODLRtvEkWA4kw..> Subscribe to
Additional E-Newsletters

 Find MEMRI On:
<http://www.memritv.org/newsletter/memri/find_memri_header.png>
<http://memri.convio.net/site/R?i=i5m3-wU9dbMlrx4z2mjjOg..> Twitter
<http://memri.convio.net/site/R?i=Jl6UomOblFPeZiIoHih2IQ..> Facebook
<http://memri.convio.net/site/R?i=f0wLZQgNpD0L9Xvl7oX2Ow..> YouTube
<http://www.memritv.org/newsletter/memri/find_memri_footer.png>

<mailto:me...@memri.org?subject=I%20want%20to%20find%20out%20more%20informat
ion%20about%20sponsorship>

The following are reports published today from MEMRI's Special Dispatch
Series and the MEMRI TV Project about a Saudi journalist critizing the Arab
uprisings as not being truly democratic and a Syrian liberal comparing
Bashar Al-Assad to "the Godfather".

Special Dispatch No. 3887-Saudi Arabia/Democratization and Reform in the
Arab and Muslim World

Prominent Saudi Journalist: "Where Are the Founding Fathers of the 'Arab
Spring?'"

In a May 19, 2011 op-ed in the London daily Al-Sharq Al-Awsat, titled "Where
Are the Founding Fathers of the 'Arab Spring?'" Adel Al-Toraifi explains
that despite the much-acclaimed "Arab Spring," there is no "genuine change
in the ideas or characters of the region." He adds, "The 'Arab Spring' has
no founding fathers - because [it] is not based on progressive, enlightened
thought," and concludes by quoting Thomas Jefferson.  According to the
paper, Al-Toraifi is editor-in-chief of the Arab magazine Al-Majalla.

To read the full report, visit
http://www.memri.org/report/en/0/0/0/0/0/0/5341.htm
<http://memri.convio.net/site/R?i=kViat9V7X0iXQw9RhoQyjQ..> .

Special Dispatch 3888-Syria

Syrian Liberal Intellectual Muhyi Al-Din Al-Ladhaqani Compares Al-Assad to
'the Godfather' and States: "We Are Facing a Vague 'Democracy,' Adopted by
All Those Who Do Not Believe in Democracy"

Following are excerpts from an interview with Syrian liberal intellectual
Muhyi Al-Din Al-Ladhaqiya, which aired on Al-Arabiya TV on May 19, 2011.

To view this clip on MEMRI TV, visit
<http://memri.convio.net/site/R?i=foqvy_T9XXK2ecgB1mFx_Q..>
http://www.memritv.org/clip/en/0/0/0/0/0/0/2948.htm

 2948.jpg <http://memri.convio.net/images/content/pagebuilder/2948.jpg>

Muhyi Al-Din Al-Ladhaqiya: "I don't know why, but the Al-Assad family
reminds me of the story of 'The Godfather.' Al-Assad Sr. groomed his eldest
son [Bassel] to be his heir, but the eldest son was killed in an accident.
So the second son - just like in the case of the godfather, the Mafia leader
- inherited the leadership of the family and of the Mafia. The same thing
happened in the Al-Assad family..."

To read the full report, visit
http://www.memri.org/report/en/0/0/0/0/0/0/5342.htm
<http://memri.convio.net/site/R?i=aV879ahkQHXEDF7jFwPm0Q..>

  <http://memri.convio.net/site/PixelServer?j=Brl5y5VDa9tX8Xg2n7Qt6w..>

 Tree image <http://www.memritv.org/newsletter/memri/tree.png> Please
remember the environment before printing.

  <http://www.memritv.org/newsletter/memri/red_separator_line.png>

For assistance, please contact MEMRI at me...@memri.org.

The Middle East Media Research Institute (MEMRI) is an independent,
non-profit organization that translates and analyzes the media of the Middle
East. Copies of articles and documents cited, as well as background
information, are available on request.

MEMRI holds copyrights on all translations. Materials may only be used with
proper attribution.

MEMRI
P.O. Box 27837, Washington, DC 20038-7837
Phone: (202) 955-9070
Fax: (202) 955-9077
www.memri.org

 <http://memri.convio.net/site/CO?i=3LIkUIoH9KMulsh4dsHjUvkxcq4VOBeV&cid=0>
DONATE |  <mailto:me...@memri.org> CONTACT US

unsubscribe
<http://memri.convio.net/site/CO?i=CHePzBrSYOrhrkXMcknFQkcCyJ4BPJhF&cid=0>

 <http://memri.convio.net/site/R?i=drOvESo76XEpMjW_hPrXGA..> powered by
CONVIO
 <http://memri.convio.net/site/R?i=fWjPUNB7fdkPJd4erJRUPA..> nonprofit
software

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.