Jun 06, 2011

Rep. Anthony Weiner admits to sending lewd photo

By Megan H. Chan <http://content.usatoday.com/topics/reporter/Megan+H.+Chan>
, USA TODAY

Updated <1m ago

<http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/on-politics/2011/06/06/weine
rx-large.jpg>
http://i.usatoday.net/communitymanager/_photos/on-politics/2011/06/06/weiner
x-inset-community.jpg

Rep. Anthony Weiner, D-N.Y., arrives with other House Democrats at the White
House in Washington on June 2.

 <javascript:void(0)> CAPTION

By Charles Dharapak, AP

Rep. Anthony Weiner, (D-N.Y.), held a news conference in New York. He said
he lied last week when he claimed that his Twitter account had been hacked
by someone who sent photos of a man's crotch to a young woman in Seattle. At
the time, he said he could not say "with certitude" whether the photo was of
him.

Updated at 4:45 p.m.: When he told his wife, he said she said she was
"unhappy," disappointed and said they would "get through this."

Update at 4:42 p.m.: When asked how he thought this may affect him
politically, Weiner said of his constituents, "I will work hard to win back
their trust and try to persuade them. I have worked very hard for my
constituents ... Nothing about this should reflect on my official duties or
on my oath of office ... I certainly used bad judgement here."

Updated at 4:38 p.m.: When asked if he had phone sex with any of the six
women, Weiner said that he would not answer because he wants to respect the
privacy of the women. He said he has never had sex outside of his marriage.

Updated at 4:37 p.m.: He said some of the communication dated back three
years and that his wife knew about it before they were married. He said she
did not know he lied about sending last week's Twitter photo.

Update at 4:35 p.m.:
"I was embarassed and I didn't want this to lead to other embarassing
things. It was a dumb thing to do to tell lies about it because it just led
to more lies."

Update at 4:34 p.m.:

"The last thing on this day when I've done this harm to my wife and my
family. is thinking of this or next year's election. The first thing I need
to do is make sure this never happens again"

"I'm not blaming anyone. This is my own personal mistake. This is a deep
weakness I have demonstrated and for this I apologize."

Updated at 4:32 p.m.: When asked if he would apologize to conservative
blogger Andrew Breitbart, he said he is "first and foremost" sorry to his
wife. He said the two have no plans to divorce. His wife did not appear at
the press conference with him.

Updated at 4:31 p.m.: Weiner says that he had inappropriate communication
with mostly women he met on Facebook.

Updated at 4:29 p.m.: "I do not have knowledge of every single
communication, but I do not believe I used government resources."

Updated at 4:28 p.m.: Weiner says "To be clear, I am deeply regretting what
I have done and I am not resigning."

Updated at 4:26 p.m.: Rep. Weiner says he would like to clear up questions
and "take full responsibility for his actions." He says he sent the photo
last week as a joke and after he sent it on Twitter, he panicked. He also
admits to having inappropriate conversations with women online and one the
phone and says he did not have any physical relationship with these women.

Updated at 4:13 p.m.: In a strange turn of events, Andrew Brietbart, the
conservative blogger who published alleged new photos of Weiner Monday, took
to the podium at the Sheraton hotel in New York where reporters have been
waiting for Weiner to speak. "I'm here for vindication," Brietbart said,
saying he was upset about being "accused of being a hacker against a
congressman."

Our original post:

Weiner's appearance comes after more photos of the Democratic congressman
surfaced Monday on Big Government, a website affiliated with conservative
writer Andrew Brietbart. The website said the photos were provided by a
woman who said Weiner sent them to her last month.

Last week, Weiner denied sending a lewd photo
<http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2011-06-01-Rep-Anthony-Weiner-Twitt
er-lewd-photo-hacking_n.htm>  of a man's crotch to a young woman in Seattle
via Twitter, claiming he was the victim of a prankster. But he declined to
confirm or deny whether the photo was of him.

Among the photos posted Monday on Big Government is an image of a
bare-chested man, flexing his muscles. He is visible only from the nose down
and appears to be in an office, with a series of framed photos behind him.
In another photo, Weiner is sitting on a sofa with two cats by his side.

Last year, Weiner, 46, married Huma Abedin, a veteran aide to Secretary of
State Hillary Rodham Clinton.

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.