http://www.cnsnews.com/commentary/article/irksome-things

Irksome Things

Tuesday, June 07, 2011
By  <http://www.cnsnews.com/source/73412> Walter E. Williams

There are a lot of things, large and small, that irk me. One of them is our
tendency to evaluate a presidential candidate based on his intelligence or
academic credentials. When Obama threw his hat in the ring, people thought
he was articulate and smart and hailed his intellectual credentials. Just
recently, when Newt Gingrich announced his candidacy, people hailed his
intellectual credentials and smartness as well.

By contrast, the intellectual elite and mainstream media people see Sarah
Palin as stupid, a loose cannon and not to be trusted with our nuclear
arsenal. There was another presidential candidate who was also held to be
stupid and not to be trusted with our nuclear arsenal who ultimately became
president -- Ronald Reagan.

I don't put much stock into whether a political leader is smart or not
because, as George Orwell explained, "Some ideas are so stupid that only
intellectuals believe them."

All the evidence that I see is that academics and intellectuals have messed
up the world. I challenge anyone to show me a major calamity that was
engineered by a stupid, inarticulate person, but those caused by
intelligent, articulate persons are too numerous to count, from the likes of
Hitler, Stalin and Mao to Woodrow Wilson, FDR and Obama.

My vision of a good presidential candidate is a person with ordinary
intelligence but great respect and love for our Constitution. Maybe Palin's
and Reagan's respect and love for our Constitution qualified them as dumb in
the eyes of the mainstream media, intellectuals and academics.

There are less important things that irk me. One of them is teleological
explanations. I've listened to TV weather reports and heard the weatherman
say, "There will be morning clouds, but the sun will try to come out later
in the day." Often, the weatherman's predication is wrong, and it remains
cloudy all day. Would the weatherman explain that the day remained cloudy
because the sun didn't try hard enough? Trying to do something is purposeful
behavior. Inanimate objects cannot engage in purposeful behavior.

Another mini-irk is to hear someone say something such as "Dave and myself
went shopping." My question might be that if Dave hadn't come along, how
would you describe what you did? Would you say, "Myself went shopping?"
Grammar lesson: Myself is a reflexive pronoun. As such, it must be preceded
by a pronoun to which it refers, namely its antecedent, within the same
sentence. For example: "I, myself, wrote this column."

Another grammatical irritant is a statement such as "John is taller than
me." Hearing such a grammatical error, Dr. Martin Rosenberg, my high school
English teacher, would pitch a fit, sarcastically asking, "Do you mean John
is taller than me am?" He'd explain that am is the elliptical, or
understood, verb in the sentence, and the subject of any verb must be in the
nominative case; therefore, the sentence should be, "John is taller than I."

An irritant along mathematical lines is when the telephone information
operator tells me that the number for the party I wish to reach is
285-77o-8855. On occasion, I've asked the operator whether I'd reach my
party if I dialed 77o. She'd reply that I'd have to dial 770. Then I'd ask
her why she told me to dial 77o, telling her there is a difference between o
and zero. I would explain that the letter o is defined as a vowel and the
15th letter of our alphabet. By contrast, zero is defined as a number that
when added or subtracted from another number does not change the value of
that number. Needless to say, our conversation would go downhill and reach a
strained and unpleasant end.

One shouldn't expect to go through a day, much less life, without annoyances
of one kind or another, but I thought I'd share a few of mine with the
people who read my column.

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.