Sheriff's deputy shot dead, wife goes into labor

The officer, who had served in Mideast as U.S. Marine, was responding to
domestic dispute

*

 <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31066137/media-kit/> Advertise |
<http://g.msn.com/AIPRIV/en-us> AdChoices

Image: Members of Oriskany Falls fire department block access to Knoxboro
Road after a fatal standoff that killed Deputy Kurt Wyman.

Mark Diorio  /  Utica Observer-Dispatch

Members of Oriskany Falls fire department block access to Knoxboro Road,
Tuesday, June 7, in Knoxboro, N.Y., after a fatal standoff between deputies
and a male gunman which resulted in the shooting death of Deputy Kurt Wyman
and the wounding of suspect Chris Patterson.

msnbc.com staff and news service reports msnbc.com staff and news service
reports

updated 53 minutes ago 2011-06-07T14:37:18

KNOXBORO, N.Y. <http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&where1=KNOXBORO,%20N.Y.>  - A
sheriff's deputy in upstate New York died overnight Tuesday after being shot
at the end of a five-hour standoff, and his wife went into labor with their
second child upon hearing the news, local media reported.

The Oneida County Sheriff's Department told WKTV and the Observer-Dispatch
that Deputy Kurt Wyman died after being rushed to a Utica hospital following
a shootout around 2 a.m. Tuesday inside a garage in the rural hamlet of
Knoxboro, 30 miles southeast of Syracuse.

Sheriff's spokesman Lt. James McCarthy told the Dispatch the couple has one
child together, and that the deputy's wife, named in the report as Lauren
<http://www.uticaod.com/breaking/x1595586516/Standoff-reported-in-Deansboro>
, went into labor with the couple's second upon hearing her husband had been
shot.

WKTV reported that members of Wyman's church received a text message Tuesday
morning with the news of Wyman's death and his wife's labor
<http://www.wktv.com/news/crime-reports/Sheriffs-Deputy-shot-and-killed-in-K
noxboro-standoff-123327568.html> .

The station said family and many law enforcement members had gathered at St.
Elizabeth Medical Center, the hospital where the 24-year-old Wyman died from
a single gunshot wound, the Dispatch reported, citing McCarthy.

The sheriff's deputy had served a year in the Middle East as a U.S. Marine
and had worked with the sheriff's department for four years, he told the
newspaper.

"It's a very sad day, and we're trying to cope," McCarthy told the Dispatch.
"We're upset and depressed that we had to lose a member, and right now we're
trying to get ourselves together so we can get back to our duties."

Officials said police shot the the suspect, 41-year-old Chris Patterson,
several times and that he is in critical condition.

Authorities said police responded to a domestic dispute around 9 p.m. Monday
at Patterson's home. They allege he was armed and had retreated to a garage
when deputies arrived.

"We were in the process of negotiating with a man armed with a long-gun,
trying to get him to surrender, then I don't know what happened, what
prompted this or who shot first, " McCarthy told the Dispatch.

WKTV reported the incident at the home had initially involved Patterson's
wife and child, but it said they had been released unharmed.

Officials say more information will be released during a news conference
Tuesday morning.

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.