http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/07/report-poverty-does-not-b
reed-extremism/

Poverty does not breed extremism
<http://globalpublicsquare.blogs.cnn.com/2011/06/07/report-poverty-does-not-
breed-extremism/>

By Fareed Zakaria, CNN

Since 9/11, a decade ago, Washington has given the government of Pakistan
more than $20 billion in aid. Two- thirds of that has gone to the military
to fight the war on terror. The other third, about $6 billion, has gone for
development of Pakistan's civilian economy and society.

The theory behind many of those billions of dollars is that by bringing
Pakistan's poorest out of poverty and despair, fewer young men will be
seduced by radical Islam.

As President Obama said, "We must stand with those who want to build
Pakistan." And Secretary Clinton adds, "Providing this assistance is not
only the right thing to do, but we believe it is essential to global
security and the security of the United States."

This is an admirable approach for sure; it's a strategy the U.S. uses all
over the world, from Baghdad to Bali and back.

But what if you discover that aid money does not necessarily make Pakistanis
less likely to turn to terror? What if you learn that there's actually no
correlation between being poor and supporting Islamic extremism?

Well, that's what a new serious academic study
<http://www.humansecuritygateway.com/documents/MORTARA-FAIR-Poverty-and-Supp
ort-for-Militant-Politics-Pakistan.pdf>  seems to prove. It's a robust
survey by four academics from Princeton, Georgetown and the University of
Pennsylvania that conducted extensive field research in Pakistan,
interviewing 6,000 people across a broad spectrum of income groups and
geography. Their findings could challenge the way we approach fighting
terror, not just in Pakistan but around the world.

First, they find that in general Pakistanis don't like militant groups. Not
just al Qaeda, but the other ones like the Pakistani or Afghan Taliban.

Second, contrary to conventional wisdom, poor Pakistanis dislike militant
groups more than the middle classes.

Third, the people who hate militants the most are the urban poor, probably
because more than any other group they're the ones who are affected by
terror attacks - bombs in subways or cafes or whatever.

It's an interesting conclusion. The people we've long considered the
likeliest candidates for extremism are actually the ones most against it.

The study points out that this goes against most of the existing policy
literature on the subject.

It cites both the U.S. State Department and the UK's Department for
International Development as saying poverty motivates people to extreme
violence.

Now, giving aid to poor people is good in and of itself. But if we've been
doing that to prevent them from becoming Islamic fundamentalists, then this
study suggests we've been aiming at the wrong target. Perhaps our focus
should be on the middle classes or on secular education.

Research shows that members of the IRA in Northern Ireland or Hezbollah's
militant ring are more likely to come from economically advantaged families
and with a relatively high level of schooling.

These are important issues for Washington to consider. Who does it want to
give economic aid to? What exactly is the best way to create a climate less
conducive to extremism? Those are long-term issues.

For now, what I want to say in the short term is: Let's at least focus on
accountability for this aid - for both hard and soft aid. We need to demand
results. What is the money achieving?

A CNN poll
<http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2011/05/27/cnn-poll-u-s-not-too-fond-o
f-pakistan/>  from last week shows that nearly half of all Americans think
all aid to Pakistan should be stopped. Another quarter thinks it should be
reduced.

It seems like 10 years and $20 billion later, the American people understand
basic lessons in accounting that Washington has been learning the hard way.
Pentagon documents now show that we are rejecting nearly half of Islamabad's
claims for expenses over the last two years.

But the more important question is: Will the Pakistani military in return
for all this money, finally move against the terror organizations like the
Haqqani Network and Lashkar-e-Taiba that they claim to be willing to battle?

It's long delayed, but it is the right message that we should be sending.

American purse strings are important and necessary from Afghanistan to
Zimbabwe, but they don't have to remain open at all costs.

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.