<http://scottystarnes.wordpress.com/author/scottystarnes/>

<http://scottystarnes.wordpress.com/2011/06/29/caught-white-house-lied-about
-gen-petraeus-afghan-withdrawal-strategy/> CAUGHT: White House lied about
Gen. Petraeus' Afghan Withdrawal Strategy

 <http://scottystarnes.wordpress.com/author/scottystarnes/> Scotty Starnes |
June 29, 2011 at 6:32 AM | Tags:
<http://scottystarnes.wordpress.com/?tag=afghanistan-withdrawal> Afghanistan
withdrawal,  <http://scottystarnes.wordpress.com/?tag=general-petraeus>
General Petraeus,
<http://scottystarnes.wordpress.com/?tag=lieutenant-general-john-allen>
Lieutenant General John Allen,
<http://scottystarnes.wordpress.com/?tag=president-obama> President Obama,
<http://scottystarnes.wordpress.com/?tag=sen-lindsey-graham-r-sc> Sen.
Lindsey Graham (R-SC),
<http://scottystarnes.wordpress.com/?tag=senate-armed-services-committee>
Senate Armed Services Committee | Categories:
<http://scottystarnes.wordpress.com/?cat=35145> Political Issues | URL:
<http://wp.me/pvnFC-5wG> http://wp.me/pvnFC-5wG

How many more lies can Team Obama get caught in? IMPEACH the liar-in-chief.

<http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/general-reveals-obama-ignored-militarys
-advice-afghanistan_575902.html?nopager=1> Stephen F. Hayes points out the
lie:

Lieutenant General John Allen told the Senate Armed Services Committee today
that the Afghanistan decision President Obama announced last week was not
among the range of options the military provided to the commander in chief.
Allen's testimony directly contradicts claims from senior Obama
administration officials from a background briefing before the president's
announcement.

<http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/06/28/obama-troop-cuts-went-beyond-l
argest-withdrawal-offered-top-general> Allen testified that Obama's decision
on the pace and size of Afghanistan withdrawals was "a more aggressive
option than that which was presented."

Graham pressed him. "My question is: Was that a option?"

Allen: "It was not."

Allen's claim, which came under oath, contradicts the line the White House
had been providing reporters over the past week-that Obama simply chose one
option among several presented by General David Petraeus. In a conference
call last Wednesday, June 22, a reporter asked senior Obama administration
officials about those options. "Did General Petraeus specifically endorse
this plan, or was it one of the options that General Petraeus gave to the
president?"

The senior administration official twice claimed that the Obama decision was
within the range of options the military presented to Obama. "In terms of
General Petraeus, I think that, consistent with our approach to this,
General Petraeus presented the president with a range of options for
pursuing this drawdown. There were certainly options that went beyond what
the president settled on in terms of the length of time that it would take
to recover the surge and the pace that troops would come out - so there were
options that would have kept troops in Afghanistan longer at a higher
number. That said, the president's decision was fully within the range of
options that were presented to him and he has the full support of his
national security team."

The most corrupt administration in history led by the most corrupt radical
the U.S. has ever seen. This is what happens when a Chicago community
organizer is elected.

General Reveals that Obama Ignored Military's Advice on Afghanistan

5:21 PM, Jun 28, 2011 . By STEPHEN F. HAYES
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/author/stephen-f.-hayes>

 <http://www.weeklystandard.com/rss/stephen%20f.%20hayes/rss.xml>
http://www.weeklystandard.com/sites/all/themes/ws/images/rss-icon.gif

 <http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/?nopager=1> Single Page
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/print/blogs/general-reveals-obama-ignored-mil
itarys-advice-afghanistan_575902.html?nopager=1> Print
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/general-reveals-obama-ignored-militarys
-advice-afghanistan_575902.html?nopager=1> Larger Text
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/general-reveals-obama-ignored-militarys
-advice-afghanistan_575902.html?nopager=1> Smaller Text

Email

<http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/general-reveals-obama-ignored-militarys
-advice-afghanistan_575902.html?nopager=1> Hide

To forward this article to a friend, please fill out the form below:

* Required Fields

Your Name: *

Your Email: *

Your Friend's Name: *

Your Friend's Email: *

Alerts

<http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/general-reveals-obama-ignored-militarys
-advice-afghanistan_575902.html?nopager=1> Hide

Get alerts when there is a new article that might interest you.

Send me alerts for:

Bill Kristol
Fred Barnes

Your e-mail address:

Confirm e-mail address:

Zip code:

Please sign me up for The Weekly Standard weekly newsletter.

The Weekly Standard reserves the right to use your email for internal use
only. Occasionally, we may send you special offers or communications from
carefully selected advertisers we believe may be of benefit to our
subscribers. Click the box to be included in these third party offers. We
respect your privacy and will never rent or sell your email.

Please include me in third party offers.

http://www.google.com/recaptcha/api/image?c=03AHJ_VuvJSSHeNtmxzPZyhU-nyvrTNs
UdJpV_mYm7X1VNoeE9d4M02cyw2A-cQ9-igCfCkI-v94m1C-YicZa521uv4JD3nJPP5Mr8aRqVfX
YCKdamin0x81ywilXS5u4qJ55RrU-4MedjTU-sQYW6WLZfzUanB3VMTA

 <javascript:Recaptcha.reload%20();> Get a new challenge
<javascript:Recaptcha.switch_type('audio');> Get an audio challenge
<javascript:Recaptcha.switch_type('image');> Get a visual challenge
<http://www.google.com/recaptcha/help?c=03AHJ_VuvJSSHeNtmxzPZyhU-nyvrTNsUdJp
V_mYm7X1VNoeE9d4M02cyw2A-cQ9-igCfCkI-v94m1C-YicZa521uv4JD3nJPP5Mr8aRqVfXYCKd
amin0x81ywilXS5u4qJ55RrU-4MedjTU-sQYW6WLZfzUanB3VMTA> Help

http://www.google.com/recaptcha/api/img/clean/logo.png

        http://www.google.com/recaptcha/api/img/clean/tagline.png

Lieutenant General John Allen told the Senate Armed Services Committee today
that the Afghanistan decision President Obama announced last week was not
among the range of options the military provided to the commander in chief.
Allen's testimony directly contradicts claims from senior Obama
administration officials from a background briefing before the president's
announcement.

Obama and John Allen

<http://politics.blogs.foxnews.com/2011/06/28/obama-troop-cuts-went-beyond-l
argest-withdrawal-offered-top-general> Allen testified that Obama's decision
on the pace and size of Afghanistan withdrawals was "a more aggressive
option than that which was presented."

Graham pressed him. "My question is: Was that a option?"

Allen: "It was not."

Allen's claim, which came under oath, contradicts the line the White House
had been providing reporters over the past week-that Obama simply chose one
option among several presented by General David Petraeus. In a conference
call last Wednesday, June 22, a reporter asked senior Obama administration
officials about those options. "Did General Petraeus specifically endorse
this plan, or was it one of the options that General Petraeus gave to the
president?"

Related Stories

.
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/petraeus-afghanistan-withdrawal-decisio
n-more-aggressive-advised_575477.html> Petraeus: Afghanistan Withdrawal
'More Aggressive' ...

.          <http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/why-summer-2012_575455.html>
Why the Summer of 2012?

.
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/obama-announce-afghan-decision-week_574
969.html> Obama to Announce Afghan Decision this Week

.
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/surge-or-retreat_526831.html> Surge or
Retreat?

.          <http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/memo-president> Memo to
the President

More by Stephen F. Hayes

.
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/huntsman-2012-against-name-calling-and-
anger-and-them_575419.html> Huntsman 2012: Against Name-Calling, Anger-And
For ...

.
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/afghanistan-what-did-mitt-mean_574653.h
tml> On Afghanistan-What Did Mitt Mean?

.          <http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/what-gas_573985.html> What a
Gas

.
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/fundamentally-different-worldview_57395
8.html> 'Fundamentally Different Worldview'

.
<http://www.weeklystandard.com/articles/land-pawlenty_573255.html> Land of
Pawlenty

The senior administration official twice claimed that the Obama decision was
within the range of options the military presented to Obama. "In terms of
General Petraeus, I think that, consistent with our approach to this,
General Petraeus presented the president with a range of options for
pursuing this drawdown. There were certainly options that went beyond what
the president settled on in terms of the length of time that it would take
to recover the surge and the pace that troops would come out - so there were
options that would have kept troops in Afghanistan longer at a higher
number. That said, the president's decision was fully within the range of
options that were presented to him and he has the full support of his
national security team."

The official later came back to the question and reiterated his claim. "So
to your first question I would certainly - I would certainly characterize it
that way. There were a range. Some of those options would not have removed
troops as fast as the president chose to do, but the president's decision
was fully in the range of options the president considered."

(The full transcript of the exchange is below;
<http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2011/06/22/white-house-transcript-of-afghanis
tan-briefing/> the full transcript of the call is at the link.)

So the new top commander in Afghanistan says Obama went outside the
military's range of options to devise his policy, and the White House says
the president's policy was within that range of options. Who is right?

We know that Petraeus and Admiral Mike Mullen, chairman of the Joint Chiefs
of Staff, have both testified that the administration's decision was "more
aggressive" than their preferred option. And there has been considerable
grumbling privately from senior military leaders about the policy. Among
their greatest concerns: the White House's insistence that the 2012 drawdown
of the remaining 23,000 surge troops be completed by September. That means
that drawdown will have to begin in late spring or early summer-a timeline
for which there exists no serious military rationale. Afghanistan's
"fighting season" typically lasts from April through November. (Last year,
it continued into December because of warmer than usual temperatures.) So if
the White House were to go forward with its policy as presented, the largest
contingent of surge troops would be withdrawn during the heart of next
year's fighting season.

Would Petraeus have made such a recommendation? No. He wants to win the war.
When he was pressed last week to explain the peculiar timeframe, Petraeus
said that it wasn't military considerations that produced such a timeline
but "risks having to do with other considerations."

Which ones? Petraeus declined to say. But in a happy coincidence for the
White house, the troops will be home in time for the presidential debates of
2012 and the November election.

Q    Hi, everyone.  Thanks for doing the call.  I've got a couple, but I'll
be quick.  Did General Petraeus specifically endorse this plan, or was it
one of the options that General Petraeus gave to the president?  And as a
follow-up, did Gates, Panetta and Clinton all endorse it?  Finally, will the
president say about how many troops will remain past 2014?  And of the
33,000 coming home by next summer, how many are coming home and how many are
going to be reassigned somewhere else?

SENIOR ADMINISTRATION OFFICIAL:  Okay, I'll take part of that.  In terms of
General Petraeus, I think that, consistent with our approach to this,
General Petraeus presented the president with a range of options for
pursuing this drawdown.  There were certainly options that went beyond what
the President settled on in terms of the length of time that it would take
to recover the surge and the pace that troops would come out - so there were
options that would have kept troops in Afghanistan longer at a higher
number.

That said, the president's decision was fully within the range of options
that were presented to him and has the full support of his national security
team. I think there's a broad understanding among the national security team
that there's an imperative to both consolidate the gains that have been made
and continue our efforts to train Afghan security forces and partner with
them in going after the Taliban, while also being very serious about the
process of transition and the drawdown of our forces.

So, to your first question, I would certainly - I would characterize it that
way. There were a range.  Some of those options would not have removed
troops as fast as the President chose to do, but the president's decision
was fully in the range of options the president considered.

Just for a process point, over the course of last week the president had
three meetings with his national security team to include Secretary Gates,
Secretary Clinton, Director Panetta, Director Clapper, but also General
Petraeus was in all of those discussions as well - and the chairman of the
Joint Chiefs, of course, Admiral Mullen.

In terms of the troops, I couldn't be specific about that.  They're
obviously coming out of Afghanistan.

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.