<http://www.newenglishreview.org/blog_display.cfm/blog_id/36253#CurDomainURL
#/blog.cfm> The Iconoclast

Monday, 4 July 2011

Entebbe's Message 35 Years Later: Leave No One Behind

http://www.newenglishreview.org/images/clear.gif

Editor's note:

As Americans we celebrate our Independence on July 4th. For Israelis, July
4th memorializes the 35th anniversary of the legendary Entebbe rescue raid
and the valiant death of Mission Commander, Israeli Prime Minister Benyamin
Netanyahu's brother  <http://www.yoni.org.il/eng_contents.htm> Yonatan. In
this Op ed, Maj.. Gen. (Res.) Doran Almog, "the first man on the ground at
Entebbe", discusses the relevance of Entebbe to a personal cause, care of
Israel's disabled.

___________________

Maj. Gen. (Res.) Doron Almog, IDF

by Maj. Gen. (Res.)  Doron Almog, IDF

Thirty-five years ago today (July 4, 1976), an Air France flight was
hijacked and diverted to Entebbe Airport in Uganda. Shortly after landing,
all of the non-Jewish passengers were released and the remaining Jewish
passengers were held hostage. One week after the hijacking, I commanded the
first task force to land in Entebbe as part of a daring mission that freed
105 hostages.

Faced with immense challenges, we pulled off a thrilling (yet bittersweet)
victory. At the time, we saw the feat as an illustration of the strength and
vitality of the Israeli army and the Jewish spirit.  Upon reflection (so
many years later), it is clear that it also highlighted the importance of
standing up for those who cannot stand up for themselves.

It should be noted that my participation in Entebbe was voluntary. After my
brother, Eran, was killed in the Yom Kippur war (he was injured in the Golan
Heights and bled to death after sitting untreated for seven days), I was
given the choice of leaving my combat unit as a bereaved soldier.  However,
I chose to remain in the military in order to change the ethos of the IDF
and make absolutely sure that no soldier would ever be left behind again.

It was this philosophy that drove me to participate in the Entebbe raid and
numerous other military operations throughout my career and, ultimately, set
the stage for the next phase of my adult life.

After our son was born - and we named him Eran after my late brother - he
was diagnosed with severe physical and cognitive disabilities.  In an
instant, my world was turned upside down. At first, I had a very hard time
coming to terms with the fact that my beloved son would never speak or hold
down a job, and would always be dependent on others to provide his every
need.  But my "no man left behind" philosophy prevailed, and I found the
strength to be the father that Eran needed me to be.

In fact, my time with Eran allowed me to develop my philosophy even further,
and I became committed to changing the way society views the disabled.  I
realized that it is not enough to make sure that these wonderful children
don't get left behind.  We must ensure that they are given every opportunity
to excel and reach their greatest potentials.

For the Entebbe raid, our IDF battalions travelled 2,500 miles to fight for
those who could not fight for themselves.  It is time for us to harness that
bravery, resolve and dedication to our fellow men, to turn our sights inward
and focus on the urgent rescue missions in our own neighborhoods. These
"hostages" are in very real danger every day of their lives and are often
abandoned. They are the weakest members of our society and are completely
dependent on the kindness of others. We don't need to launch a complex
tactical mission to set them free.  We simply need to wrap them in love and
help them integrate into our social fabric.

Make no mistake: our commitment to care for the disabled members of society
remains immeasurably more difficult than any military campaign I have ever
led. But we must stand up and fight to provide them with the care that they
deserve. Because, in the end, our generation will be judged by how well we
complete this mission.

_____________________________

Major General (Res.) Doron Almog is the founder and Chairman of Aleh Negev -
Nahalat Eran, a village named in memory of his son, that provides a
continuum of residential care for children with severe disabilities as they
grow from adolescents into young adults.Learn more about Aleh at
<http://www.aleh.org/> www.aleh.org.

General Almog currently serves as Chairman of Athlone Global Security (AGS),
a capital group that invests in high-tech Israeli companies specializing in
the development and distribution of homeland security-related solutions.

During his army service General Almog accumulated a great deal of
operational experience in leading people during war and battle conditions
and in managing complex divisions. See his background at
<http://www.newenglishreview.org/blog_display.cfm/blog_id/www.aleh.org/eng/b
oard.asp?SID=1> www.aleh.org/eng/board.asp?SID=1

Tags:  <http://technorati.com/tag/Maj.+Gen.+%28Res.%29+Doran+Almog> Maj.
Gen. (Res.) Doran Almog,  <http://technorati.com/tag/+IDF> IDF,
<http://technorati.com/tag/+Entebbe+hostage+rescue+mission> Entebbe hostage
rescue mission,  <http://technorati.com/tag/+Mahalat+Eran> Mahalat Eran,
<http://technorati.com/tag/+Aleh> Aleh,  <http://technorati.com/tag/+IDF>
IDF,  <http://technorati.com/tag/+care+for+disabled> care for disabled

http://www.newenglishreview.org/images/clear.gif

 <http://www.newenglishreview.org/blog_comment.cfm/blog_id/36253> Submit
Your Comment

Posted on 07/04/2011 12:24 AM by Doron Almog

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.