http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/publications/pub_detail.asp?id=10110

Is Reforming Islam a Possibility?

 <http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/authors/id.157/author_detail.asp> Amil
Imani

Print This <javascript:%20printVersion()>  E-mail This
<javascript:%20emailVersion()>

 <javascript:void(0);> http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/images/share.png

ShareThis <javascript:void(0);>

Comments (14)
<http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/publications/comments.asp?id=10110>

http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/imgLib/20110806_IslamClean.jpg

The idea of reforming Islam is not new. Islam cannot be reformed. Keep in mind
that Islam claims that it is the perfect eternal faith for mankind. Splits have
occurred and will continue to occur in Islam. Yet, reformation has not happened
in nearly 1400 years and is not going to happen. Islam is carved in granite,
just the way it is. No change. Allah's book is sealed.

About the only universal agreement that exists among Islamic authorities is
that every word of the Qur’an is the word of Allah and is not subject to human
modification, ever. The ‘Hadith’ also enjoys a similar sacrosanct standing. And
of course, the faithful Muhammad’s conduct as recorded in the Sunna is the
model to be emulated. Hence, one can pick and choose, but one cannot discard or
revise any part of the scripture. For this reason a Martin Luther type
reformation has not happened and will not likely ever happen within Islam.

Numerous people have tried it in every imaginable way. The
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu'tazili> Mu’tazelis tried it, the Sufis tried
it and hundreds of old and new schools tried it and they all failed. Islam is
not reform-able for at least the following reasons:

* At the heart of the problem is the Quran, Islam’s sacred book, considered as
a literally perfect and the immutable words of Allah.

* Islam is a perfect religion:

Quran.5:3 : Today have I perfected your religious law for you, and have
bestowed upon you the full measure of My blessings, and willed that
self-surrender unto Me shall be your religion.

How can fallible limited humans possibly reform or improve the handiwork of the
all-knowing, all-wise author of the universe?

* Freedoms of all forms are anathema to Islam that is squarely based on total
submission to the dictates and will of Allah. Muslims must obey Allah and His
Messenger:

Quran.33:36: And it behoves not a believing man and a believing woman that they
should have any choice in their matter when Allah and His Messenger have
decided a matter; and whoever disobeys Allah and His Messenger, he surely
strays off a manifest straying.

* Violence is part and parcel of Islam.

Quran 2: 216: Fighting is ordained for you, even though it be hateful to you;
but it may well be that you hate a thing the while it is good for you, and it
may well be that you love a thing the while it is bad for you: and God knows,
whereas you do not know.

* Reforming Islam requires discarding Shari’a, but also purging the Quran
itself from enormous suras that are not only patently false, but totally
repugnant to a civilized humanity. This line of thinking, to sanitize Islam is
explicitly forbidden in the Quran:

Quran 2:85: Do you, then, believe in some parts of the divine writ and deny the
truth of other parts? What, then, could be the reward of those among you who do
such things but ignominy in the life of this world and, on the Day of
Resurrection; they will be consigned to most grievous suffering? For God is not
unmindful of what you do.

* Islam is a super religion:

Muslims consider Islam, a super-religion and the final religion of Allah.
Judaism and Christianity are the only other two religions that are granted a
grudging minimal recognition by Islam. All other religions and those without
religion are blasphemy and blasphemous. In short, Islam is not reform-able.
Reforming Islam requires purging of its sacred book, the Quran. By so doing,
then, we have a different religion, not Islam.

Let us look at some other points by explicit provisions of the Quran:

* Islam is misogynist. Men are superior to women. Women are to obey men and are
to be beaten when they disobey or misbehave.

* Islam is racist. The Quran stipulates that the Arabs are superior to all
others and it clearly condones slavery. It explicitly stipulates discriminatory
laws for slaves.

* Islam denounces other belief systems and marginally recognizes the validity
of only two religions, Judaism and Christianity.

* Islam is violent. It not only condones jihad, it recommends it and promises
great reward for the jihadist.

* Islam is already splintered in a number of major sects and innumerable
numbers of secondary sects that harbor huge disagreement and animosity toward
one another as well as toward all infidels.

* Those who claim that they want to reform Islam, in fact, they want to
transform it by stripping it from a great many provisions that are anathema to
civilized humanity. These people are in fact trying to make a new religion out
of the old with no divine authority that supposedly bestowed upon Muhammad to
form and launch his religion.

Religious high authorities play a critical role in steering the masses toward
or away from hate. The late Pope’s public pronouncement, for instance,
absolving the Jews as the Christ killers has reduced anti-Semitism among the
rank and file Christians. Fatwas—religious decrees—by Islamic Muftis and
Ayatollahs carry considerable weight with their respective followers. Sadly,
most decrees and adjudications of these high Islamic authorities are
exclusionary and even hostile toward the out-groups.

These high divines are the suppliers of opinions as well as the teachers of the
rank and file clergy who take the same ideas to the masses in villages and
cities. Madrassas in Pakistan, schools in Saudi Arabia and Maktabs—religious
schools—in Iran, as well as numberless mosques serve as places where the
disease of hate can be transmitted with considerable success to the just too
willing believers.

In Islam’s theocracy, religious authority is conferred by an informal consensus
of the peer group. One becomes an Ayatollah, for instance, by demonstrating to
other ayatollahs his undeviating devotion to the dogma they hold. If one
deviates from the accepted line, he is not likely to make a village mullah,
much less an Ayatollah. This is a systemic problem that is not amenable to
change. It is a pathological theological inbreeding.

Religions in general are sources of energy. The energy can achieve magnificent
things or destroy anything. It is up to us to put religion to good use, as
people have done for millennia, and to avoid using it as a weapon of death and
destruction—again, as people have done so for millennia.

In conclusion, Islam is not only divided, it is shattered. It is in shambles,
long past fixing itself, much less ruling the rest of the world. It is time
that Muslims, those who consider themselves good and peaceful, as well as those
who want us to accept their ideology of barbarism at the point of the sword, to
take the fateful step and join the free and emancipated family of humanity.
There is no going back. Barbarism is in our past.

 <http://www.fsmarchives.org/> FamilySecurityMatters.org Contributing Editor
<http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/authors/id.157/author_detail.asp> Amil
Imani is an Iranian-American writer, poet, satirist, novelist, essayist,
literary translator, public speaker and political analyst who has been writing
and speaking out about the danger of radical Islam both in America and
internationally. He has become a formidable voice in the United States against
the danger of global jihad and Islamization of America. He maintains a website
at  <http://www.amilimani.com/> www.amilimani.com. Imani is the author of the
riveting book
<http://www.amazon.com/Obama-meets-Ahmadinejad-Amil-Imani/dp/1926800028/> Obama
Meets Ahmadinejad and the upcoming thriller  <http://freeamericanpress.com/>
Operation Persian Gulf.

Reader Comments:
<http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/publications/comments.asp?id=10110>
Submit Your Comment (14) |  <http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/my_fsm/> Sign
Up for FSM Updates!

Print This <javascript:%20printVersion()>   <javascript:%20emailVersion()>
E-mail This

 <javascript:void(0);> http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/images/share.png

ShareThis <javascript:void(0);>

 <http://www.familysecuritymatters.org/publications/comments.asp?id=10110>
Comments (14)

  _____

I don't believe for a minute that Islam can ever be reformed. I don’t hold my
breath waiting for it.

posted by: India
Monday, August 8, 2011 at 04:40 AM

  _____

Thanks, Amil. We can't hear true tales of the horror of Sharia often enough.
But as to "reforming" Islam to conform to normal human impulses toward
religious and civil liberty, is that even possible? I'm referring to the work
over the past few years by Andrew McCarthy and others who set out to document
the oft-heard assertion that Islamic terrorists and radicals had "hijacked" the
religion by shouting false doctrine. Yet, upon investigation, no doctrine
asserted by a terrorist differed from accepted, mainstream Islamic doctrine. In
sum, doctrine requires Muslims to make all people submit to the will of Allah
by any and all means, including the point of the sword. McCarthy found that
virtually all branches of Islam require institution of Sharia, including all
the abuses of women documented in Eileen's article, and also slavery, etc.

Several "moderate" Muslims have been active lately. To cite just one, Dr. Zuhdi
Jasser, president of the American Islamic Forum for Democracy, has called for
reform. I've listened carefully to his words, searching for any mention of a
specific Islamic doctrine that could underpin a reform movement. I'm sorry to
say I've heard nothing of such doctrine, or even that it exists (but that the
format of the radio show, or other medium, precludes details at the current
time). In sum, I've heard nothing from "moderate" Muslims to indicate that
Islam CAN be reformed. McCarthy's most recent piece (at nationalreview.com)
asserts that while there are many moderate Muslims, there is no such thing as
moderate Islam. There is no doctrine of moderation within Islam. He also cites
examples of reform movements (e.g., the Ahmadi sect) that are brutally punished
by orthodox Islam. In fact, accepted doctrine criminalizes "reform" movements
as "apostasy," a serious offense often punishable by public execution. These
are disturbing thoughts. Is Islam an existential threat to all humanity? If you
take their words at face value, and we probably should, then it's hard to
conclude otherwise. Well, jeepers, now what? One and a half billion of them
now, right? Gulp.

posted by: Hal
Monday, August 8, 2011 at 04:46 AM

  _____

Thank you for writing and exposing the hypocrisy and evil behind sharia law,
and this evil ideology (mistakenly labeled a religion). People need to be made
aware of it. Unfortunately, the media will not tell the truth, and even the
hypocrites "feminists" won't condemn such evil against women (humans). Speaking
of which, what about the United Nations? Where are all the phonies who claim
they are against slavery, human sufferings, on this issue? Why aren't we
putting these people on the spot? During political campaigns, just ask them
what they think of sharia law, and lets hear their answers. No, Islam has many
issues, reforming of it would be complete destruction of Islam.

posted by: JJ
Monday, August 8, 2011 at 04:50 AM

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.