Of course it is.which is why Communism endured 70 years and Islam nearly
1400.  Its future MAY be in doubt.but fragility is not the problem.

Islam delenda est.

Father Schall on the Fragility of Islam

Posted By David P. Goldman On August 26, 2011 @ 1:40 pm In Uncategorized |
18 Comments
<http://pajamasmedia.com/spengler/2011/08/26/father-schall-on-the-fragility-
of-islam/?print=1#comments_controls>

Fr. James V. Schall S.J. remains at the age of 83 an indispensable voice in
foreign policy, combining theological depth and strategic acuity. "The
Fragility of Islam" is the subject of his latest pronouncement at the
Catholic Thing blog
<http://www.thecatholicthing.org/columns/2011/on-the-fragility-of-islam.html
> . Western analysts tend to accept the narrative of Muslim triumphalism,
the assertion that the strong faith of the Islamic world will overwhelm the
temporizing and vacillating West. Not so, Fr. Schall argues: Islam itself is
"as fragile as communism." He writes:

The major change Islam looks to is not modernization or objective truth but,
in a stable world, the submission to Allah of all men under a caliphate
wherein no non-believers are found.

We still look back at communism, at least the non-oriental variety, with
some astonishment in this regard. Almost no one thought it could "fall"
without a major military encounter. That it disintegrated so quickly and so
completely seems incomprehensible to anyone but a John Paul II. He
understood its frailty, its failure to understand the human soul and its
origins..

Religion or faith, even in Islam through Averroes, has been conceived as a
myth designed to keep the people quiet. The scholars could quietly let the
caliphs and the imams rule if the intelligentsia were left free to pursue
philosophy, which was conceived to be anti-Koranic in the sense that the
Koran did not hold up under scrutiny about its claims.

The fragility of Islam, as I see it, lies in a sudden realization of the
ambiguity of the text of the Koran. Is it what it claims to be? Islam is
weak militarily. It is strong in social cohesion, often using severe moral
and physical sanctions. But the grounding and unity of its basic document
are highly suspect. Once this becomes clear, Islam may be as fragile as
communism.

A tiny minority of analysts, this writer included, have argued instead that
Islam cannot be reformed or situated in democratic institutions; its
militancy, rather, stems from the realization that it cannot survive
modernity. "Koranic criticism yet may turn out to be the worm in the
foundation of radical Islam," I wrote in 2003
<http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Front_Page/EH05Aa01.html> . Much of the Muslim
world is repeating the West's transition out of traditional society, but in
lapsed time.

That is the subject of my forthcoming book, How Civilizations Die (and Why
Islam is Dying Too)
<http://www.amazon.com/How-Civilizations-Die-Islam-Dying/dp/159698273X> .

An index of Islam's loss of faith is the unprecedented collapse of fertility
in many Muslim countries, most notably Iran. The average Iranian has six
this demographic collapse. There are seven working-age Iranians to care for
each set of parents; in the next generation there will be one and a half.
That is an impossible tax even for industrial nations whose per capita GDP
exceeds $30,000, and an unimaginable problem for a country with a per capita
GDP of only $6,000. Iran is going to die.

Why so few children? Just as Fr. Schall suggests, we will find when we poke
through the rubble that Muslims are as rare in today's Iran as Communists in
the Russia of the 1980s. According to a BBC account Iran has the lowest
mosque attendance
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/documentaries/2008/09/080925_children_of_
revolution_one.shtml>  of any Muslim country at just 2%.

The problem that the West confronts is not engagement with Islam, or reform
of Islam, or democratization of Muslim countries, but the utter and final
ruin of some of the most important Muslim nations. Turkey
<http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/MC23Ak01.html> 's problems are
just as severe: the fertility rate of native Turkish speakers is just 1.5,
the same as Iran's, while Kurdish fertility is around 4.5 - which means that
the Kurds will comprise about half the country's population a generation
from now, in contrast to just under 20% today.

Much of the Muslim world remains rooted in traditional society, to be sure;
44% of Egyptians are illiterate and more than 90% of Egyptian women are
subject to genital mutilation. But that model also has crashed and burned: a
country immured in backwardness cannot survive in the globalized world.
Egypt imports half its caloric consumption, and Chinese pigs will eat before
the Egyptian poor.

The central issue in the Muslim world is its crisis of faith, as Fr. Schall
instructs us. The clarity of his formulation stands in contrast to the
timid, apologetic stance of many Western Christians toward Islam. Typical of
the defeatist view among Catholic intellectuals was a 2009 cover story in
First Things magazine by Robert Louis Wilken entitled "Christianity Face to
Face with Islam
<http://www.firstthings.com/article/2008/12/001-christianity-face-to-face-wi
th-islam-12> ." Wilken, a Church historian at the University of Virginia,
wrote:

The vast geographical extent of the Muslim world offers an exceptionally
sturdy base of piety, learning, and culture for expansion. It is often said
that the great story of the twenty-first century will be the conflict
between Christianity and Islam. From the partial view of these first few
years in the century, that certainly seems true. But if the Islam we imagine
is the one that makes the morning headlines or the evening news, our sight
will be as constricted as that of the Christian inhabitants of Byzantine
Syria when the Muslims began to construct a new civilization in their midst.
Only if we move to a higher elevation to view Islam on a large historical
and geographical panorama will we have the vision to take the measure of the
determination, strength, and resources Muslims are likely to display in the
decades to come.

The question for Wilken is how Christians are to survive within a triumphant
Islam. Fr. Schall, with greater acuity, observes that the emperor has no
clothes (I would add that the empire has no tailors, either).

It is a blessing to have Fr. Schall still with us, and I wish him many more
years in which to share his wisdom.

  _____

Article printed from Spengler: http://pajamasmedia.com/spengler

URL to article:
http://pajamasmedia.com/spengler/2011/08/26/father-schall-on-the-fragility-o
f-islam/

Want to discuss this topic?  Head on over to our discussion list,
discuss-os...@yahoogroups.com.