Dear Colleagues,

A few days back, while I was on assignment in Ethiopia, a consulting
firm I have long association with emailed to say they needed me to
cover a 2 day management training and team building job with a US Gov’t
office in DC.

Fair enough I thought. The consulting firm knows me well and our
history together has always been one of success.

I asked for and received a Statement of Work (SOW) that was the usual
referencing of interactive approaches to building cooperation, respect
and a sense of teamwork.

Based on the SOW, I wrote a proposal for a 1 1/2 day Open Space
conference with the theme, “Looking for Opportunities to Improve Our
Teamwork”.

The proposal was accepted by the client.

 I am now Stateside. I just talked with the client and things look
pretty ugly.

I now  know the “real” interest in this exercise is to get rid of one
or two of the office employees. These two people are viewed by a new
management (my clients) as subversives, if not terrorists. The new boss
wants them “gone.”

In 5 days I am scheduled to do this Open Space with six employees
including the boss.

I am not at all reluctant to change my proposal and do my “hard hat”
management consultant routine.

 On the other hand this might be a perfect OST opportunity.

What say you?

eg

Elwin Guild
Future Development International