Ralph:

I guessed your tongue was in your cheek, but my experience is that the
"ritual" does make a difference. The ritual, even minimal, enhances the
power of the beginning of the Open Space if it fits the community and
culture. Or, it does the opposite. It and the facilitator connect to the
energy in the group, or not. Like having a speaker before Opening the
Space, inappropriate ritual reduces the energy - stifles it as Archie would
say. I've led some of those following a speaker - because the client
insisted. I have learned, like you, that once the space is opened, the
group will then recover and do what it needs to do. The reviews were
positive. However, those events (particularly if they are one day} do not
reach the same level of energy, breakthrough and impact from my experience
as event where the context and ritual fit.

I just led a 500 person one day Open Space for a major pharmaceutical. The
context was set the day before extremely well by the VP (probably the most
 important factor). But I and the ritual were able to connect to the
energy in the room and we blasted into agenda creation. At the closing, I
did not use a traditional talking stick or leave the mike in the middle of
the room in the closing, but carried the mike around looking for those
"itching" to say something. (My last experience with the mike in the centre
was a drag-the event went well, but not the closing.) It was magic-the
energy was exhilarating. Because a film crew was there and had the idea, we
ended with the "wave" around the room-ideal for Canada hockey fans. It did
work to express the energy. I have heard that it has carried back into the
workplace in surprising ways. I hope to hear more later.

Even though I have some training in ritual, I have not been very fond of
it. It becomes rote too easily. Finding a fit with the culture is
important. Minimizing it is important. Some is necessary to engage the
spirit in the room.

Larry