Wow, this is really juicy, this self-organization/complex adaptive system stuff.

In the interest of clarity, I must say I have not read Jay Vogt's comment with
the David Whyte quotes, but I was moved by what Birgitt said and made curious
by the relative silence on the topic since then (except, of course, for Jay).

I don't know what I've read that speaks to these topics.  The books on Chaos
lose me on about  page 3.  I love to say stuff like "complex adaptive system"
and "morpho-genetic field."  It's the verbal equivalent of eating crunchy
carrots.  I confess I'm pretty clueless about the actual meaning.of such
phrases.

But it seems like Birgitt is experiencing the same soreness I get when I bump
up against some of these ideas, and far be it for me to leave a friend in
distress, so a couple of thoughts that have helped me...

I, too, have wondered why volumes are written about simple things.  Like sex,
for example.  Whenever I get to feeling somebody has gone and deliberately
confused us, I do two things:

1. I look into the eyes of my pussy cat.  Guaranteed to help.
2. I recall the statement by the late American judge, Oliver Wendell Holmes.
He said, "I don't give a fig for the simplicity on this side of complexity, but
I would give my life for the simplicity on the other side of complexity."

Here is what else I have thought in reflection on Birgitt's (and Harrison's)
words on this.

The only truly self-organizing system is the universe.  Everything else is
literally a sub-set of that.  If this is true, it means that whenever we open
space for folks, we're tapping resources from the pre-existing system and
offering them an opportunity to adapt and reflect on themselves.  If they do
something as a result, so be it: it's an adaptive response.   Every time we do
OS, we're serving the larger pre-existing system, which we assume is capable of
adaptivity.

What powers the original universe?  Beats me.  The Big Bang produced a rather
large, rather lasting booster shot, but what gave rise to that?  Some say it
was God's intention.  Cosmologists say everything came out of that original
explosion.  If so, then opening space is just another strategy the universe
uses to keep on creating, keep on diversifying, keep on giving each of us
subjective experience, keep on showing us how we need each other.  Thus, inside
every opened space may be a drop of cosmic fuel which juices the deal and keeps
it moving. Do we really need, then, all the technique and philosophy of OS?

I certainly think I need the parts I use of it.  But will I always?  Can I pare
away pieces here and there as people increasingly get it?  Less is definitely
more.  But how far does that go?  If you go all the way to "nothing," does it
become "everything"?  Perhaps Harrison is saying this: if we get rid of the
"technique" of OST over time, i.e. gradually delete the use of posters,
specially-marked bulletin walls, post-it notes, carefully-worded openings,
talking sticks, the law of two feet, etc. then maybe all that will remain when
people gather to talk about something they care about is a bit of galactic
petrol ­ and maybe that's all we need, once we have communally absorbed the
wisdom of the four principles, the circle, etc.  Oliver Wendell Holmes may have
understood something of this..

I'm told that the Hindu religion promotes the having of sex.  Have all you
want, so that you can get past it and break through to the point where you move
beyond it, to another plane. We should all be so lucky.

Ralph Copleman