We tend to lean on the more "structured" side of preparing for an OS.

One of the ways we use OS is as the core of a larger change management
process with clients who are facing major organizational and business
change efforts.

The full change process has three distinct phases which include: the
prework (which I will describe here), the conference and the follow up
to the conference.

Prior to doing an OS we are looking for three things:

1. Alignment of the entire system around a complex issue which has a
high degree of passion and urgency.

2. Clarification of givens, boundaries, information needs, resistance
issues and potential areas of conflict.

3. Coordination of any activities that need to be done prior to
opening the space to better prepare people to work on their change
issue.

We talked to several clients who had not achieved the results they had
hoped for out of an OS conference and found that in several cases the
"passionate issue" identified by the person who had contracted with
the consultant was not one that the rest of the organization cared
about in the same way. Often there were a number of related issues,
but each part of the organization was so focussed on their own
particular issues they could not see the issues of the others - and
they could not see how their issues all interconnected.

We do three issue identification sessions - one with the leaders,
another with the staff or stakeholders (only) and a third joint
session with all the members of both groups where the whole system is
represented. Together they identify an issue or change direction that
has passion and that everyone feels is both critical to their overall
success and needs to be dealt with in an urgent manner.

When we do this we have often found that the final issue is actually a
reframing of the original issue, but that by doing that reframing the
issue is stated in a way that is more inclusive of the concerns and
needs of other groups and stakeholders. The result is much higher
feeling of connection to the process and a growing sense of energy and
passion for the OS day(s).

For example with one group the issue we started with was "improving
efficiency", for which the director had great passion and the rest of
the dept, including the department heads did not.

We started by taking the entire leadership team with the director
offsite for a day to explore the current change forces, needs and
issues. It initially looked like every dept head had a different view
and the group did not have an issue in common. By the end of the
process we had discovered that all of their issues connected - all of
them were symptoms of a lack of preparedness for a shift from an
internal department to a free standing business and the likelihood of
a great surge of new business in about 6 months.

A parallel staff session yielded many of the same concerns about being
ready to take on new clients and a surge in their business. Their
joint session was extremely dynamic as everyone began to see the
synergies and possibilities of everyone working together. In the end
we did a great OS on "issues and opportunities for preparing XYZ to
thrive in a new competitive market" and we had 90% voluntary
participation in the session (the original estimate of participation
was 30%).

During a training session we spoke to an associate who did an OS for
an internet organization on how to be more competitive, they had a
great day with lots of ideas generated and then had no one volunteer
to move any initiatives forward. In his opinion OS failed - we know
that it did not, it just showed the truth of the system - that people
were not willing to put their energy into improving the company for
whatever reason. I believe if they had done the prework that we do the
"real" issues would have come forward early enough to determine
whether to refocus the event or cancel it.

Once we have identified our issue we then look for givens and
boundaries. We need to know how much space is open? What can people
really work on? What expectations can they have about what will happen
with their ideas? How will actions be moved forward in the system?

We also form a design team of representatives across the larger group
(usually particiants from the issue identification sessions). This
group identifies what information do people need before they can work
on the issue? Are there concerns and barriers about moving forward? Do
people need to grieve the past? Are there issues of letting go? etc.
to create a sense of readiness for entering the space and beginning to
work on the change issue.

We look for what is the absolute minimum structured process that needs
to happen prior to the open space.  For example with an externally
initiated change we often bring in the senior people to answer
questions of the group on what the change is about and why it is
happening.

My partner has experience with both Real Time Strategic Change and
Future Search and we often use components of those interventions on
the day or half day prior to the OS. For the organizations we work for
this "structured" entry into OS seems to make sense to them.

Our prework gives us a chance to get the whole system to a point where
they are ready to enter the space. We do not try to reduce the
complexity of the issue - if anything we increase it by including more
viewpoints. We do not try to eliminate conflict. We do not let anyone
get into proposing solutions. We do not try to share all the
data/wisdom in the system - we just try to ensure each person has what
he or she needs so that they can bring their own unique wisdom to the
OS.

I know that even without the prep OS can be successful - but feel that
it is important that my clients do not find the experience so negative
that they are not willing to try OS again. My clients often have their
careers on the line when they contract with us to do a change
intervention in a new way and it is important to me that I do not let
them down. Also we have found that by aligning the system prior to the
OS we dramatically increase the willingness of people to participate
in a voluntary manner which in turn improves the quality of the
conversations and improves the focus of the results of the session and
the outputs. Follow through is greatly improved due to the high level
of alignment and commitment up front.

We have never had a "failure" or bad client experience with an OS when
we have done this prework.  We have been able to reintroduce OS to a
few clients who had only experienced an OS without any prework and who
were feeling quite negative about OS.  These clients wanted more
balance between a structured planning process and the chaos and
creativity of OS before they were willing to open the space again.

We do find that once we have worked with a client the prework for
future sessions becomes easier and easier and expect that eventually
will be able to enter OS without any prep at all.

Sharon
shar...@pdesigns.com