Harrison wrote:

"Chris -- I suggest being a littlecareful here. If it was true that all
the issues were posted by the Planning Committee members
(could have happened) there is no issue. But since that was probably not
the case (never has been , in my experience) you are
running the distinct possibility that the actual conveners will feel
disempowered. That would be a major loss. If there is still time,
I would suggest that (at the very least you invite all the conveners of
the several issues to join the committee. That is where your
energy is -- with the conveners. Use it!"

Wise counsel as always.

I've thought about this a fair amount and decided on the above quoted
process for these reasons:

1.  There's a lot happening in the community already as a result of the
Open Space and frankly, I'm a little reluctant to bring the convenors
into a meeting of government people who will be trying to figure out how
to geth their ministries involved in the activity.  I'm sure that would
kill the intitiave out there.  In fact, one of the big challenges I
outlined to the group before holding the event was the communication
challenge posed by the divergence.  They were warned, and gave it some
thought, and they're exploring ways of keeping track of what's happening
as well as finding ways to support the community.

2.  This exercise is primarily for the government folks to develop some
persoanl committment around the issues the community elucidated.  They
have a deep well to drink from (45 sessions and a lot of concrete
action) and my intention is to set them loose on the work and figure out
what role they can play to be supportive.

3.  I think it is too late to involve the convenors at the planning
meeting, but, there is talk of a follow up, so hopefully we can harness
the energy there.

4.  This process was so liberating for most people that I actually think
that it will be hard to disempower the ones that took action.  A lot of
people are looking to the planning committee to define how the
government will support these initiatives, and the planning committee is
eager to get on with the work, so seeing the twin pillars of passion and
responsibility at work here, I thought I might try it the way I
described it.

I'm hip to hearing further thoughts on this.  Thanks for the intial
advice.

Chris

--
CHRIS CORRIGAN