Dear Friends

I have just joined the OS list and am thoroughly enjoying working my way
through the archives, what rich veins of experience in there. I am also a
relative novice to running Open Space Technology events.

Yesterday there was a call for articles on experiences with Open Space for an
online newsletter. I have written one on an experience I had in Zambia. When I
had written it I suddenly recalled having read somewhere that Open Space
Technology workshops are not appropriate just for learning purposes. I cannot
recall where I read this (and maybe I'm imagining it).

With some others I was responsible for setting up a regional association of
local non-governemnt organisations (NGOs) in east and southern Africa. The aim
of the association is to promote learning and networking between members (who
tend to work in isolation). There are various ways in which this is happening,
one of which is for practitioners to come toegether and share with each other
at workshops. These workshops are based on a theme such as "setting up
participatory monitoring systems" or "Be a better facilitator" or
"fundraising". The workshops have proved to be times of rich learning between
participants. I can see Open Space being used to make this experience a whole
lot richer. But the aim would be purley for learning - though at the end
individuals may develop their own action plans in terms of what they would do
differently. Does anyone have a comment on this? Is there a problem using Open
Space Technology purely for learning purposes?

(I also see the Assocaiton using Open Space Technology as an effective way to
run its Biennial General Meeting - this would not be just for learning but also
for action into the future for the association).

With best wishes

John Wilson.