From: kenoli Oleari <ken...@igc.org>
To: <osl...@listserv.boisestate.edu>
Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2001 1:38 AM
Subject: Re: Major downsizing

 Thomas and everyone -- I am new to this list, pulled in by Jeff A.,
 Lisa H. , Peggy H. and others.  Glad to be here. It sounds like a
 lively group.  I do OD work focusing on whole systems approaches,
 including Open Space.    You can check my website out at:
 http://horizonsofchange.com.

 It is a sad story your are telling and so typical that the community
 is willing to sacrifice so much in order to buy into "free market
 conditions".  What is happening to our world?

 I have a few thoughts. Why is this happening?  Is it because of
 budget shortfalls?  If this is the case, is the system still open to
 other options?  If so, perhaps the event could focus on what else
 might happen that could meet budget needs (and other givens) and save
 the curriculum and jobs.  Other options might be an open space giving
 people a chance to talk to each other about what is going on and how
 they are going to cope with it. Another possibility would be to hold
 the Open Space after the changes have been made and use it as a
 re-design under the new conditions.

 The real issue here, is that the group that needs to decide on what
 the focus should be is the system itself.  Are you working with a
 planning team that reflects the larger system?  A group like this is
 really the appropriate body to answer the question you have posed to
 this list.

 Good Luck,

 Kenoli

 >Hi list-friends.
 >A client of mine has planned to hold a 2-day OST with all 170 staff, in
 >june, the last days before they all go for summervacation. The theme was
 >concern the future of their school (working with "adult learning"). They
are
 >in the process of changing from public funding to "free market
conditions".
 >5 public schools will be in a corporation owned by the municipality. Now
it
 >seems that they will loose a lot of the courses they have given before
and
 >face serious downsizing. The circumstances will be made clear the coming
 >days. The headmaster believes that maybe 50 out of a total 170 persons on
 >his school will have to leave. It is likely that there will be some
 >reorganizations between the 5 schools serving different local areas. They
 >probably all face lay offs.
 >It seems pretty clear that a OST conference on the future of the school
is
 >not suitable as a lot of the people coming would not be inspired to plan
for
 >something they may not even be part of. But they do have a need to
 >communicate and support each other though this. I think OST would still
be
 >suitable but I guess the theme should focus on the issue which is
everybodys
 >concern right now. I promised to make some research on experiences in
 >similair situations. I would very much appreciate if you would like to
 >share!!
 >Greetings from sunny Sweden (summer is coming over here)
 >Thomas Herrmann      Phone +46 (0)709-98 97 81
 >Open Space Consulting
 >Pensévägen 4
 >434 46 Kungsbacka, Sweden
 >Email: thomas.herrm...@telia.com
 >Medlem i BNI - nätverk för affärer (www.bni.nu)
 >Jag kan tillhandahålla professionella affärskontakter: Revisor, Reklam,
 >Tryckeri, Data/IT, Organisationskonsult, Resebyrå, Konferensarrangör,
 >Marknadsföring, Försäkringsbolag, Utbildningsmäklare, Telekommunikation,
 > >Profilkläder, Fastighetsmäklare, Advokat, Naprapat, Rekrytering och
 >personaluthyrning, Florist, Film & Videoproduktion, Bokföring,
Hemservice.

 >*
 >*
 >Visit:

 Kenoli Oleari, Horizons of Change, http://www.horizonsofchange.com
 1801 Fairview Street, Berkeley, CA  94703   Voice Phone: 510-601-8217,
 Fax: 510-595-8369, Email: ken...@igc.org (or click on:
mailto://ken...@igc.org)

 Visit: