At 22:25 12-10-2001, Julie Hotard wrote:

Thanks, Julie. I have printed your message and only now I had the
oportunity to read it. And yes, the words of the American President
of the Institute for Space and Security Studies are worth reading.

They are so clear that I wonder why they are not understood by the
American Government and the war pundits. Is it that the economical
interests they are affiliated to prevent them to understand? Or is it that
they still live in an old (medieval?) paradigm - like the one of the
talibans - and are not aware of it? Or both?

Anyhow, I am sending above again the parts that I found more interesting.
Those parts are also the ones that, in my opinion, are more related to a
very interesting point that I found in the link Chris sent to us (see next
post)

Artur
----

The Long and Short of Terrorism and Security

by Dr. Robert M. Bowman, Lt. Col., USAF, ret.

In 1998, I said that if the lies about the causes of terrorism go
unchallenged, then the terror war now unleashed will likely continue
until it destroys us. We are not the target of terrorists because we
practice freedom, democracy, and human rights, but because our
government denies these to people in the Third World whose
resources are coveted by our multinational corporations.

(...) all my military experience
and knowledge tells me that retaliation hasn't rid us of the problem
in the past, and won't this time. If retaliation worked, Israelis would be
the world's most secure people.

 (...) The long-term solution is to stop making new terrorists and render
current ones impotent.

Only one thing has ever ended a terrorist campaign -- denying the
terrorist organization the support of the larger community it
represents. And the only way to do that is to listen to and alleviate
the legitimate grievances of the people.

A massive military retaliation causing the deaths of thousands of Arabs is
the worst possible thing we could do. It would only guarantee an endless
supply of fresh terrorists for decades to come. We can have security, or we
can have revenge. We cannot have both.

If indeed we can prove the guilt of Osama bin Laden or others, we should
indict  them as common criminals. This would be supported by the vast
majority of the world's Muslims (..)

----