I'm not sure this matters, but I keep wondering whether the term
"self-organization" is simply the equivalent of the term "free will" applied to
groups.

I keep wanting to state this in terms that rekindle memories of ages-ago math
classes (might be Artur rubbing off on me :) ).  Something like this:

Self-organization is to an organization as free will is to an individual.

I can't quite get my mind around why this might be important.  Perhaps it's
that so much has been thought and said about free will.  If self-organization
and free will are analogous, then perhaps we could begin to recognize similar
patterns on different scales.  That would be very fractal-like, wouldn't it?

That's what I keep thinking might be important somehow, but I don't suppose I'm
right. :)

Julie