Dear Michael, Lisa and Harrison,
Thanks for your insights - I feel clearer and more at peace now.... more
graciously spacious, if you will ;-)  or is that spaciously gracious :-P

Michael - I agree that the sponsor opens the space. I actually thought
the same thing when typing that 'I ... opened space' and was in too much
of a hurry and too lazy to search for another phrasing. So that bit was
OK, I believe. Also, the planning group did discuss the
presentation/students beforehand. So that wasn't it.

Lisa - I was careful to advocate arranging the 'presentation' in one of
the breakout rooms for the very reasons you cited. There were 3 time
slots and it happened to be the only discussion in the first round. I am
coming to rest in the 3rd principle (whatever happens...) regarding this
- thanks for your reminder and support!

Harrison Owen wrote:

Well it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that when the
dominant group (numbers wise also is the major power player) just sit
there and LOOK -- things could become a little quiet.

This of course is an extreme case, but it might be suggestive. Or more
likely, folks did just what they needed to, and that just didn't match
your expectations. (smile)

Yes - my expectations were not realized - thank goodness, as that would
have only fed my illusion of 'knowing' or being 'in control'! I think I
was triggered by 2 things: my worry that the sponsor was unhappy and my
uncertainty about whether inviting the students was a good thing. There
is a lesson for me here in letting go - I did what I could re: the
sponsor. As for the students, I'll need to sit with that a bit more... I
like the bumblebee aspect and yet am not fond of the observer aspect....

Best wishes,
glory