At 07:58 PM 10/16/2002 -0400, Winston wrote:
One challenge for me was the presence of a group "guru" with a large
controlling streak who claimed "seigniorial rights" on several occasions,
kind of like "space invader lite". For example during the opening after the
principles and law had been reviewed, she interrupted to declare to the
circle: "during MY breakouts, nobody will be allowed in after we start, and
if anyone wants to leave they will be asked to explain why, and also to say
goodbye". The interesting thing is that she had obviously already earned
the respect and honour of the participants, many of whom came to the
conference to learn from her. So on the one hand she was sometimes
disruptive of the process, since some (not all) folks were hesitant to go
against her "amendment" to the Law and so fussed or complained about her
controlling behaviour instead, while on the other she was important to the
process as one of  the key dispensers of (putative) wisdom... an
interesting polarity I had not personally observed (in Open Space) before.

I would guess this makes the point that it is not about the "purity of the
process" but rather about the desires of the group. The 4 Principles and
The Law are (so far as I am concerned) only statements of fact as opposed
to prescriptions of behavior. People then have to choose.

A question that arose from the nature of the group is perhaps more
interesting. In a number of the breakouts (not necessarily the guru's),
there were real-time and intimate experiential exercises, as is in the
nature of Focusing. In those situations, it sincerely felt to some
participants as if there should be no "bumblebeeing" allowed since it could
not only disrupt the process "en cours", but potentially cause damage to a
vulnerable psyche in what I will choose to call a therapeutic situation.

I have had this situation on a number of occasions. Folks can say whatever
they want. And people will do whatever they do. What seems to work best is
invitation and request -- as opposed to dictates. So, I have seen folks say
"we are going to do a process. It will be confusing if people come and go,
so I ASK that if you choose to come, come for the beginning -- and if you
choose to leave, please do it quietly and don't come back." Seems to work.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA