At 08:02 AM 11/27/2002 -0900, Julie wrote:
I feel like a mad scientist with way too many changing variables:
dramatically shortened time frame exacerbated by food as a significant
distraction, new opening, unintentional space invading, inadequate
preparation of adult participants in an event intended for youth...

And still... I'm glad we did it.  It was a new and interesting
experience for all of us.  The problem was named.  The intentions were
good.  People talked.  We all did the best we could with what we knew at
the time.  Thinking back on it, it feels good to me.   I like the energy
of movement and engagement, even when it feels more like stumbling than
gliding.   I just like the fact that we were all in the room together,
trying.

I never met an Open Space I didn't learn from, and very few I didn't like.
sounds like you are continuing the tradition. Also sounds like there was a
lot of learning. At some level it reminds me of the OS I described a while
back as the OS from Hell. 50% of the participants, who happened to be Feds,
had been told by their superiors that they could only "observe". Of course
nobody told me anything about it -- and they then had the temerity to
complain about the low level of energy and lack of creativity. Now, how
energetic or creative could you be if a bank of federal agents (who
evaluated and paid for the program you worked for) were all staring at
you???? And the amazing thing was -- there was energy and there was
creativity. God love the Human Spirit. It always comes through, even when
we do our damnedest to keep it down. Keep on truck'in.

ho

Harrison Owen

7808 River Falls Drive
Potomac, MD 20854 USA