Thank you for your lengthy and well written note regarding a subject that I
agree is important. I applaud you for your courage to speak up about
situations that I  think of as creating conditions where people feel unsafe.
We are never sure what is up for the people in the room, what hurts and
pains they are carrying, or what causes people to have to make a choice to
leave a group (when they really don't want to leave) due to something that
feels unsafe. We are all differently abled, each of us as humans carrying
different dis-abilities. I am an advocate of stating the givens for the
meeting both in the invitation and at the beginning of the meeting, so that
participants can make an informed choice of what they are consenting to
attending.

I also believe that we as facilitators of OST meetings have a rare privilege
of working with a powerful methodology, AND that we have a unique
responsibility because we understand its power from having worked with it.
Although we can assume that people have the wisdom to use the "Law of
Mobility", there are specific times when that is more awkward. One of those
is for morning and evening news, and the other is for the closing circle. In
those times, the person who wants to leave what is going on in the moment,
does not want to miss out on the rest of what might be offered. I have had a
number of seasoned OST facilitators in our workshops raise the question of
"does the law of mobility really apply here" and "what is the price to the
person". I encourage each facilitator to determine for him or herself what
to say at the start of these times to address this.

I remember some years ago leading a weekend long OST meeting for a spiritual
community. One person was furious that we were using OST rather than the
process he had suggested. He was a large man with a large presence. Most
gathered were women. On day 1 at the end of evening news, he wanted to lead
in prayer. He had asked me if he could do this and I simply said that
evening news was for anyone to do what they felt moved to do. While he was
leading in the prayer, something started to feel really wrong. I couldn't
put my finger on it but felt that as the facilitator, I had made a mess
somehow. On day 2, the same thing happened but this time he waited until I
had closed the evening news and then he stood and announced the prayer. The
prayer included the holding of hands, dance, and him doing the verbal part
and instructions. It lasted 1 1/2 hours. Others on this list were present
with me during that OST meeting including Sheila Isakson and Virginia Burt.
We gathered in my room to sort out what was going wrong and what to do. We
concluded that this man was a "space invader" using prayer to exert control
of the group and although the group was deeply upset none of them voiced it
in the meeting itself. Most of the chatter took place in private rooms with
many of the members feeling unsafe and knowing they were unwilling to
address it. It was just too big for them.

On the morning of day 3, the man came to me and said he had a prayer for the
closing. I replied "I am sure you do". I also advised him that it was not
appropriate to do the prayer in the closing circle because it did not allow
for people to have choice of whether they wanted to participate or not. He
started to challenge me as though I was against prayer, which I am not. I
stopped him short and said that he was most welcome to do the prayer when
they all gathered together again after lunch following the OST meeting. He
looked me in the eye and he said "you and I both know it will not have the
same effect if I wait". I looked him in the eye and said "I know". We had a
great closing circle WITHOUT his prayer. In our workshops, I use this as a
case example story to ask participants what they would do with a space
invader like this. And the conclusions of almost all who are involved in
these discussions has been that the facilitator should do just what you have
said which is to gently acknowledge that people take care about hugging,
touching, prayer and so on. I think I remember Harrison recently posting
something about music which was that what was music to someone might not be
for another and so he suggested not using it for the meeting. I think the
same applies here except that instead of the facilitator not using
something, it is about the facilitator wisely knowing what could occur for
those times when people are not sure about the "law of mobility" applying
and to provide some wisdom from wisdom files gleaned from knowing the power
of OST.

Thank you for this conversation,
Blessings,
Birgitt