From: "Automatic digest processor" <lists...@listserv.boisestate.edu>
To: "Recipients of OSLIST digests" <osl...@listserv.boisestate.edu>
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2003 4:00 PM
Subject: OSLIST Digest - 8 Apr 2003 to 9 Apr 2003 (#2003-96)

> [...]
> 'co-learning' in a few hours a bit wiser and with additional stories to
tell
> the emphasis on the efficiency dimension of OS and Joelle's comments about
> 'Health care in the western world is a constant battle to put the unruly
> forces of nature under control' really make sense - need to understand
> their language and metaphors
> with peace
> Brendan
>  >

> At 10:16 AM 07-04-2003 -0700, you wrote:
> >Hi Brendan,
> >
> >Whenever I've done OST in healthcare, I've stressed in the opening that
this
> >method has been chosen because it is so very efficient, effective and
> >powerful - that it can accomplish the same in a couple of days that may
> >otherwise take months (or years) of committee work.
>
> *
> *
> Visit:

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Wed, 9 Apr 2003 18:20:57 +1200
> From:    Pattillo <patti...@actrix.gen.nz>
> Subject: strategic planning

> ------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C2FEC4.C4CA90D0
>
> 10% implementation
>
> =20
>
> It seems to me that at the heart of strategic planning is that great =
> quote -
> "chance favours the prepared mind".  While I accept that the physical
> documentation of a plan is for some the most important thing, and =
> getting
> the strategic plan onto one page is important to others for me it is the
> least important of matters.  Perhaps it's my lack of completer/finisher =
> -
> who would now.
>
> =20
>
> Strategic planning is I think that rare opportunity for reflection and
> creation of our thoughts (plans) about how we would like to engage with =
> our
> future and with one another and the things we do.  Anyone who approaches
> strategic planning as a control of the unknown is I think a little mad.  =
> It
> is in this light that I think open space gives life to the heart of
> strategic planning.  It gives anyone who cares in the future of an =
> entity a
> chance to reflect and create the sense of how they would like to move
> forward.  Implementation is not it seems to me an appropriate measure of
> strategic planning or open space - awareness, readiness, agility,
> connectedness, sustainability are, I think, better yardsticks.
>
> =20
>
> In traditional strategic planning only a few people get to develop this
> awareness, using open spce in strategic planning means that any one who =
> care
> enough has a prepared mind for chance and the future.

3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3
D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

eudora="autourl">www.openspaceworld.com</a>
eudora="autourl">www.openspaceworld.org</a><br>
> Personal website <a href="http://mywebpages.comcast.net/hhowen/index.htm";
eudora="autourl"><font
color="#0000FF"><u>osl...@listserv.boisestate.edu<br>
> </u></font>Visit: <a
href="http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html";
eudora="autourl"><font
color="#0000FF"><u>http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html</a><b
r><br>
> [...]
> members and staff.  The theme was "what are the issues and actions
> for the Funding Council to consider in its 2003-06 corporate plan?"
> This was the first time that college principals participated in the
> planning process by raising their burning issues and proposed actions
> for consideration.
>
> So, OST can be used effectively as a front end input on issues and
> actions to be considered by a smaller planning group.  Conversely,
> another event can be used after a planning group establishes a
> planning framework, e.g. direction, objectives and goals, by asking
> participants to devise strategies and make detailed action plans for
> implementation.  In this way, plans do not have to be cascaded
> through an organization, because they are agreed and owned during the
> OST event.
>
> 2. Scottish Arts Council, December 2002, with 31 senior managers to
> review key parts of the corporate plan in open space, revising the
> plan in accordance with the agreed outputs of all participants.
>
> If you would like to review a tested and effective planning model,
> please see my book THE STRATEGY LED BUSINESS (McGraw-Hill 1996, ISBN
> 0-07-709285-6.)  Although it was presented as a step-by-step process
> for small and medium sized businesses, it is a universal model for
> all sectors.  I have used it in government and voluntary
> organizations.  Our large group processes - Vision Search and
> Strategy Search - are based on this model, allowing the planning
> process for up to 120 people in teams of eight.  For more
> information, please visit our website, www.openfutures.com.
>
> Good luck on your project.  You are doing ground breaking work!  It
> can be done with the right design, using Open Space for front end
> inputs, back end detailed planning for implementation or review of
> specific parts of an existing plan.
>
> Cheers
>
> Kerry Napuk
> Open Futures Ltd.
> Edinburgh, UK
> --
>
> *
> *
> Visit:

> ------------------------------
>
> Date:    Wed, 9 Apr 2003 21:45:04 +0200
> From:    Avner Haramati <avn...@inter.net.il>
> Subject: Re: OS and strategic planning
>
> Hi Jaime
>
> A strategic planning story from the southern part of the Holy Land;
> A regional council that governs on about 25 villages and Kibutzs decided
> use OST to their strategic planning (as they called it) for the next 5
> years.They chose OST because their idea  was to have a participatory
process
> with maximum inhabitants.  The preparations with the sponsor (the head of
> the council), the management of the region, the strategic planning team
but
> especially with the steering commitee of the OS were long ( 3-4 months)
and
> relatively complex. A lot of anxiety,  trust building from all sides, and
> the enlisting of the population. We opened the space last November( I did
it
> with Tova Averbuch) for 1 1/2 days on the issue of `What future are we
going
> to build in  xxxx for us and our childeren - issues and oportunities`.
> 8 `heavy` issues were chosen and 5 another less chosen that people wanted
> take .
> I took 1-2 months to start roling and by now all the teams (but one
`messy`
> issue that didn`t start) advance very well and it looks they are going to
> conclude towards June (the target date).
> The comunity is informed on the website in real time about the meetings,
> proceedings, and there is an open invitation to whoever cares to join.
> To their request I accompany the new steering commitee (that was created
> after the OS) in their monthly meetings in order `to remind them to keep
the
> tuneof the OS`  It is heading by the sponsor and include the convenors of
> the teams, the strategic planning team and some people that care.
>
> All the best
>
> Avner Haramati
> Jerusalem

the wall' programmes lately. There is even one on BBC that invites people to
dinner and listens in on the conversations that develop. A two day OS with a
suitable subject could be edited to make an interesting programme. They
could even do a follow up to see what had happened after a few months.