If you visit this site: http://www.cstr.ed.ac.uk/projects/festival/ you
will find information on Festival, an open source product that converts
text to audio.  My friend Peter Rukavina is using it to audiofy his
weblog at http://www.reinvented.net/article/1559 so if you visit his
site you can see how it works.

Basically it gives you the option of clicking a link and hearing text.

I haven't used it myself, other than at Peter's blog, but it strikes me
as a great tool for producing proceedings that need to be both visual
and audio.  If you were doing an OST meeting with blind folks who needed
to hear the proceedings, you could record the proceedings on a website
(with a wiki for example) and have the text converted to audio as well.
If you put a link on each proceedings page with, say, an ear graphic,
non-readers would know to click that and get the audio.  I'm sure it
would be fairly straight forward to make this accessible for blind
people too, who already have tools for websurfing.

Anyway, it's just another accessibility tool that struck me as really
useful for our work, more so because it's open source and free to
download and install.  It seems like some technical savvy is needed, but
that also seems like a good skill to learn.

Chris

---
CHRIS CORRIGAN
Bowen Island, BC, Canada