Hi Anu

On 20/11/2004, at 9:55 AM, Anu Parmar wrote:

I've gotten some idea on how you have done it but I would love to
hear more on how you 'sold' this idea (without explaining what OS is)
academics for them to invest their time and energy in this forum.  As
well
how long, in terms of days was this get-together.  Can you give us more
details, Viv, please.

They were meeting anyway, and asked a colleague of mine (Geoff) to
facilitate. He decided that with 60 people at least two facilitators
were needed so negotiated that I be brought in too. I actually never
met with the client before the event (I was travelling to beautiful
Goa). As far as I know, Geoff didn't mention open space either.

Geoff and I met and talked about the event - we discussed all sorts of
approaches including Open Space - and spent most of our time trying to
work out what the client wanted to achieve (which was basically get the
group operating effectively so that he could go back to retirement - he
had been called out of retirement to 'fix' the group). All this
planning happened months before the event (and I'm not very good at
planning that far in advance - in fact I'm not very good at planning at
all). After I returned from Goa and the Improv. conference in San
Francisco, we met to finalise details and I said we just had to use OS.
We reassured the client that we would meet the very long list of
outcomes he wanted from the event, told him what facilities we needed
and gave him a very general agenda eg  welcome, agenda setting,
concurrent discussions, afternoon plenary (AKA evening news), action
planning, closing. I tend to use the language the client is comfortable
with rather than 'educate' them into OS jargon. We even determined the
theme without consulting the client! (I can feel people wincing all
around the world :-) Then we just did it.

It was a nearly two-day residential OS. It was in a basketball stadium.
We started by having them seated in theatre style horseshoe. That was
familiar. The empty agenda on the wall wasn't so familiar and received
some puzzled looks. We did a standard welcome and then some sociometry
(mainly line ups and chunking) and then some individual and small group
appreciative inquiry storytelling. During lunch we rearranged the
chairs into a circle. After lunch I opened the pace and the rest is
history. We provided participants with a generic agenda: morning
arrival, opening, agenda setting, sessions all afternoon, evening news,
dinner (with a guest speaker that was organised by the client - and
guess what? he spoke about the importance of following your passion (as
a scientist) and taking responsibility! He couldn't have done a more
appropriate job if I'd briefed him myself - and I had absolutely
nothing to do with it at all).

The action planning happened after lunch on the second day - and people
went home with the proceedings - quite a novelty for a bunch of
academics.

Cheers

Viv

Viv McWaters
Beyond the Edge Pty Ltd
PO Box 665 Torquay 3228
Australia
(03) 5261 9498
0417 135 406

"Thus the task is not so much to see what no one yet has seen, but to
think what nobody yet has thought about that which everybody sees. "
Schopenhauer