Dear All,
I must add comments re so-called "strategic planning".

Henry Mintzberg, in his book "The Rise and Fall of Strategic Planning" (NY:
1994 The Free Press) argues that "strategic planning" is an oxymoron.
"Strategy cannot be planned because planning is about analysis and strategy
is about synthesis" (quote from cover notes of the book). This is an
important perspective because Mintzberg is widely credited with having
coined the concept during the early '80s.

As I see it, planning is what we do in advance in order to steer ourselves
towards achievable goals. Strategy, on the other hand, is about responding
rapidly to all those real-world glitches that interfere with our best-laid
plans and which could never have been foreseen at the time the plans were
made.

A navigator plots a course from New York to London. That's the plan. During
the flight unforeseen storms arise which force a re-think of the plotted
course. The new course is arrived at through a strategic response to the
altered circumstances. "How can we avoid the turbulence and yet still reach
London before running out of fuel?"

It was during seemingly interminable "strategic planning" meetings during my
time at a government organisation in Melbourne that I became so disenchanted
with management as it was being practised that I was open to new ways to run
organisations (I used to leave a copy of Mintzberg's book on the meeting
room table as a quiet statement of discontent...). At about this time I
heard Birgitt Bolton interviewed on the radio here in Melbourne, loved what
I was hearing, began correspondance with her and subsequently discovered
Father Brian S Bainbridge and Open Space.

Happy to discuss this further if you wish.

David

Dr David Smith
BSc(Hons) PhD FRSA
Director, imaginACTION pty ltd