Previous email was too large - try this...

----- Original Message ----- From: "OSLIST automatic digest system" <lists...@listserv.boisestate.edu>
To: <osl...@listserv.boisestate.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, September 06, 2005 4:00 PM
Subject: OSLIST Digest - 4 Sep 2005 to 5 Sep 2005 (#2005-244)

Topics of the day:

 1. Opening Space on the Gulf Coast (3)
 2. Mentoring Circles
 3. Contribute directly to NAACP
 4. Stammitsch in NYC (2)
 5. New Orleans violence: conversation's role?

Date:    Mon, 5 Sep 2005 12:53:25 -0400
From:    Harrison Owen <hho...@comcast.net>
Subject: Opening Space on the Gulf Coast

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01C5B218.CE121D20

When 9/11 happened, after the immediate shock had worn off, I found =
myself musing -- "Given what I know/have experienced, what can we do =
now?" I confess that the answer to that question was a little slow in =
coming, but when it did, the arrival occurred pretty much in the nature =
of a blinding flash of the obvious. Open Space! And I did my best to =
spell out the details in what became, "The Practice of Peace." This time =
around, the old mind seems to have worked a little bit faster -- or =
maybe the obvious was just a bit more obvious -- and the answer is =
precisely the same. Open Space!

The conditions are absolutely perfect. We have a real clear issue: =
"Rebuilding a shattered society." Lots of diversity in terms of those =
involved, their opinions and needs. Mountains of complexity, plenty of =
conflict, and for sure the decision time was yesterday. In terms of Open =
Space, it just doesn't get any better than that. And as we all know, OS =
is fast, cheap, and effective -- exactly what you need in a situation =
approaching total disaster.=20

Ok -- now what? It might feel real good if a whole bunch of us jumped on =
planes, trains and cars. We might even get our faces on the Evening =
News, but I doubt it would do much good. If nothing else, our presence =
would only add to the burdens of region scarcely able to carry itself. =
But there are other ways.

To make a start, we need only two things. First, points of contact where =
we might do some good. And second, the people and recourses to serve the =
need. Knowing something of the quality and dedication of the people on =
OSLIST, I feel comfortable in saying that the second need has already =
been met. We are the people, and we can find the resources. But the =
Points of Contact may take a little thinking. We don't need to have a =
lot, and certainly not a full array all across the Gulf States. Just one =
or two would do for a start.

There are 450 people on this list. There is only one person that I can =
think of (and I can't remember his name) who actually lives in New =
Orleans. But in this wonderful electronic world in which we live, =
physical proximity isn't the only thing. Each one of us knows somebody =
who knows somebody who knows somebody. . . A simple note of invitation =
and support passed along "the grape vine," could reach the receptive =
spot. We might share our notes just to give each other ideas and =
inspiration -- no need to sell Open Space. Just talk about what it does =
-- simply, personally and briefly.

And when we reach that receptive spot -- I for one promise to offer =
whatever service or support that lies in my power to give.

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD  20854
USA
301-365-2093
207-763-3261 (summer)
website www.openspaceworld.com

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

------=_NextPart_000_0003_01C5B218.CE121D20

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>When 9/11 happened, after the immediate shock =
had worn=20
off, I found myself musing -- "Given what I know/have experienced, what =
can we=20
do now?" I confess that the answer to that question was a little slow in =
coming,=20
but when it did, the arrival occurred pretty much in the nature of a =
blinding=20
flash of the obvious. Open Space! And I did my best to spell out the =
details in=20
what became, "The Practice of Peace." This time around, the old mind =
seems to=20
have worked a little bit faster -- or maybe the obvious was just a bit =
more=20
obvious -- and the answer is precisely the same. Open =
Space!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>The conditions are absolutely perfect. We have a =
real=20
clear issue: "Rebuilding a shattered society." Lots of diversity in =
terms of=20
those involved, their opinions and needs. Mountains of complexity, =
plenty of=20
conflict, and for sure the decision time was yesterday. In terms of Open =
Space,=20
it just doesn't get any better than that. And as we all know, OS is =
fast, cheap,=20
and effective --&nbsp;exactly what you need in a situation approaching =
total=20
disaster. </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Ok -- now what? It might feel real good if a =
whole bunch=20
of us jumped on planes, trains and cars. We might even get =
our&nbsp;faces on the=20
Evening News, but I doubt it would do much good. If nothing else, our =
presence=20
would only add to the burdens of region scarcely able to carry itself. =
But there=20
are other ways.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>To make a start, we need only two things. First, =
points of=20
contact where we might do some good. And second, the people and =
recourses to=20
serve the need. Knowing something of the quality and dedication of the =
people on=20
OSLIST, I feel comfortable in saying that the second need has already =
been met.=20
We are the people, and we can find the resources. But the Points of =
Contact may=20
take a little thinking. We don't&nbsp;need to have a lot, and certainly =
not a=20
full array all across the Gulf States. Just one or two would do for a=20
start.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>There are 450 people on this list. There is only =
one=20
person&nbsp;that I can think of (and I can't remember his name) who =
actually=20
lives in New Orleans. But in this wonderful electronic world in which we =
live,=20
physical proximity isn't the only thing. Each one of us knows somebody =
who knows=20
somebody who knows somebody. . .</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT face=3DArial>A simple =
note of=20
invitation and support passed along "the grape =
vine,"&nbsp;could&nbsp;reach the=20
receptive spot. We might share our notes just to give each other ideas =
and=20
inspiration -- no need to sell Open Space. Just talk about what it does =
--=20
simply, personally and briefly.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>And when we reach that receptive spot -- I for =
one promise=20
to offer whatever service or support&nbsp;that lies in my power to=20
give.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Harrison</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Harrison Owen<BR>7808 River Falls =
Dr.<BR>Potomac, MD&nbsp;=20
20854<BR>USA<BR>301-365-2093<BR>207-763-3261 (summer)<BR>website <A=20
href=3D"http://www.openspaceworld.com";>www.openspaceworld.com</A></FONT><=
/DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>