Dear Catherine,
very interesting stuff.
To your question:
"How can I hold space in this conflict in a way which prevents abuse?"
My first thought was: Just as usual. But if I assume that your agenda as facilitator appears to be to "prevent abuse" I ask: Why do you want to prevent abuse? And further: What happens to the concept of being unattached to outcome. What happens to the concept of being fully present and at the same time invisible? If you were to hire me as a facilitator I might experience a bunch of bumps in the road with you as sponsor.
To your question:
"What do I say in the givens in regards to this?"
Givens, I think, are the concern of the sponsor. It is very helpful if the sponsor can state them. As facilitator I would feel abused if I had to explain givens to the participants.
To your question:
"What does the one board member on our side say in his welcome speech?"
My first response was: 1. Welcome 2. State the theme and say two or three sentences re the theme 3. Formulate his expectations, hopes, visions as to the outcome of the gathering and 4. Announce the facilitator who introduces the process (the night before the facilitator could coach him a bit on his opening of the space). Second response: What does it mean "on our side"? What happens to a facilitator not being partial to "holding time and space" but being party to a particular fraction of the system?

My hunch is that your role might be participant or sponsor and that you and the entire system might profit if the sponsor engages an external facilitator...who might also contribute to clarify whether open space technology is the best approach in this affair.

Greetings from Berlin
mmp boscop eg

Catherine Pfaehler wrote:
Dear Listers

As I am planning our 3^rd OS in Thielle (a naturist’s paradise in Switzerland, which is in its 70^th year now), the conflict is still going on. Mistrust is still strong on both sides. I offer this OS being a member of the Network Renaissance Thielle, which is working to save the original idealistic intents of this wonderful community and to strengthen the community of naturists in this difficult time full of stress. The other side are a few people who have seized power and are doing everything to make the idealists leave. Their intentions to change the focus of the place into a normal camp ground for nudists (and probably also for sex tourists) were only realized when it was almost too late - they have already taken control of the board of the foundation in a very concealed way and have employed a manager for the camp who has no understanding whatsoever of naturism, a hunter. (Naturists are naked, like nudists, but their focus lies on spiritual and consciousness development. They don’t eat meat – that’s why choosing a hunter as a manager shows a lot about the current president’s values -, don’t use drugs or alcohol, don’t smoke – if not 100 % in everyday life, then certainly on the camp site. Many families are in Thielle in their 3^rd and 4^th generation, every summer.)

My question to you is: How can I hold space in this conflict in a way which prevents abuse? What do I say in the givens in regards to this? What does the one board member on our side say in his welcome speech?

We have experienced time after time that our good intentions were turned around and made into something which was then presented publicly as horrible. Somebody from the other side last year even came into the plenary to have a look and then called us a sect. This is how the current president of the board works to eliminate those who do not support his actions. He spreads some lies about us and then continuously uses people who mean well for his bad intentions. In paradise, one doesn’t think this way, and therefore only realizes this when it’s too late. So this fear of abuse of the space is more than realistic.

Grateful for your ideas and experiences - Catherine

Catherine Pfaehler Senn

Open Space Begleitung & Coaching

Kellersriedweg 8

CH - 2503 Biel

+41-(0)32 - 365 68 41

c.pfaeh...@bluewin.ch

* * ========================================================== osl...@listserv.boisestate.edu ------------------------------ To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of osl...@listserv.boisestate.edu: http://listserv.boisestate.edu/archives/oslist.html To learn about OpenSpaceEmailLists and OSLIST FAQs: http://www.openspaceworld.org/oslist
--

Michael M Pannwitz, boscop eg
Draisweg 1, 12209 Berlin, Germany

Check out the Open Space World Map presently showing 438 resident Open Space Workers in 68 countries (working in a total of 125 countries worldwide)
www.openspaceworldmap.org