Anne--

>From my experience, you likely need a meeting with a design team made up of
representatives from the various groups that you mention in the organization.
Allow enough time to play with the theme until you get beyond the obvious
expressions, to something that the team feels excited about.

I have found that as an outsider, I am a poor predictor of what will
resonate, intrigue, and excite people within the organization.   Some design
teams
have come up with themes that totally left me cold, but they attracted lots of
people to the meeting and started lively conversations.   Your role can be to
listen for what brings up energy and excitement (in the design team work),
perhaps combine a couple of thoughts or statements and help the group shape the
theme so it reads easily and is not too long or complicated.   In other words,
you are a facilitator here, not the proposer.

In a case or two where the organization was not interested in getting
involved with this process, the resulting OS did not work as well.   When you
have a
design team and it is truly representative, you will begin to see the issues
and coalitions that are likely to show up in Open Space.   These people who are
involved in the OS before the actual meeting date can also be your allies
within the organization, drawing in other people by their own involvement and
enthusiasm.

All my best wishes for a project that should be an exciting one!

Joelle

Joelle Lyons Everett
Sound Resources
Shelton, Washington, USA

 AOL now offers
free email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at
http://www.aol.com.