Rob, I have unfortunately no tips regarding traditional workshops, but what do
you think about the following idea:

Invite the students and the professors first to an OST meeting.  If your client
has not much time you could offer also a mini OST.  [We have lots of colleagues
her in this community with conducting mini OST's] An Open Space invitation
opens immediately the space for selforganized research and learning ... in
order to be prepared for the OST workshop. After the OST your client will be
surprised how much wisdom and knowledge about this topic is already in the
system, I mean in this group of people. Then you would have supported the group
to find great own aha's and own open questions and then you could help them to
collect all resources and discuss further the entire theme. And then let the
same group (by inviting perhaps also other interested people from the
university) meet in a 3,5hour or 4hour follow-up OpenSpace-Online meeting (e.g.
3-6 weeks later) about a question like "What have we learned?". With such
future-oriented design you would help them to open spaces for interactive
selforganized learning and research about the theme and you woul offer your
client at the same time a great experience about OST, about OpenSpace-Online
and about the power of combining both. If you have questions, please email me
at gabriela.en...@openspace-online.com. I will be delighted to support you.

So far my two cents. Good luck with all!

With best regards to The Netherlands,
Gabriela

OpenSpace-Online GmbH - The Power of People!
Winner of the "Top 10 World Changer 2006" Award
Resselsteig 30, 12209 Berlin, Germany
eMail: cont...@openspace-online.com
website: http://www.OpenSpace-Online.com
phone: +49-(0)30-772 31 69
fax: +49-(0)30-77 39 20 21
Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg HRB 75583
Managing Director: Gabriela Ender