Hi Bui,

I have also heard, but very rarely, of people having had a bad OS
experience. One in particular, a youth, was to her third OS experience when
she was in one I facilitated. She said that the previous ones had not been
as engaging and productive. Another one I heard of was explained by a
particular context in the field and in the group that may not have been
considered enough in the prep work.

I think Larry touched an excellent point about the preparation of the
sponsor, and I would add the planning group.

I have one recent example. From the start, I could feel that the sponsor was
truly open and believed in the staff capabilities and judgment, while the
planning group was feeding its own fears, not resisting the idea of open
space but simply being very prudent and sceptical. Similar to what Uwe
mentioned.

The sponsor asked for volunteers and asked a few more people to join the
planning group in order to have a true microcosm of the organization. I
spent a whole lot of time preparing the event with them, even doing a
mini-OS. In fact, I never went so deep before in preparations. But I now
think it was very important because it is what made the planning group more
comfortable and confident, which projected on the rest of the organization
before the day of the event. That confidence set the table, so to speak, so
that people would trust the management, their colleagues and the process.
The level of participation and openness were quite extraordinary during the
OS event. And I really feel this is in large part due to the authenticity of
the sponsor, and the journey of the planning committee during the
preparations, which actually started some change within the group.

I think the questions to ask people who had a bad OS experience should
revolve around the formulation of the theme and invitation, the amount of
space actually being opened, the presence of a planning group that is a
microcosm of the whole group, the language (words, body, spirit) being used
by both the sponsor and facilitator as well as the physical space and time.

Thank you all for the thought provoking comments, and Uwe for that Tao Te
Ching quote! Hope this helps too. Cheers!

Esther Matte
Discover - Engage - Accomplish
New York: 212.755.0551
Montreal: 450.583.5849