Dear Michael Wood,
people announce their "projects" in Action Planning and then these (A3 sheets)are posted around the room, encircling the circle, on pinwalls. As they are posted, the A4 template is pinned next to them. If there are more than 7 or so projects, we turn half of the pinwalls around (this creates two action planning rounds, when there are 21 prjects, then there are 3 rounds, about 20 to 25 minutes each)...this seems to support a more relaxed and at the same time more concentrated activity with folks wandering around with a cup of coffee, small groups everywhere discussing stuff. When all is done, everyone is invited to have a final look at everything that has been worked and agreed upon around the projects. After that there is little to no interest to "hear" once more what all the Next Steps agreed upon are. The A4 templates sort of get filled in more and more during the process and there seems to be a final "check" in the last round where all participate. I do, however, say a few sentences about the impact of a specific, easily executed Next Step in systems (maybe I impress myself mostly with this stuff, but it works pretty well). In the final analysis, all those things that people put down on A4 or in other formats or just in their calendars (during the final round people often have their calendars with them) are only the shadows of what they really are going to get into. In Next Meetings I am regularly amazed about the vast number of things that nobody even said peep about at the event emerge...and regulary I run into people in the street telling me what they are into (the os event was 4 or 5 or more years ago)with a clear perception that all this started with the os event. This has a humbling effect on me and has made me be much more relaxed than I used to be around Action Steps, less attached to outcome is very productive, it seems...
Greetings from Berlin

PS: Michael, you are invited to include yourself in the world map so that I can "see" you when writing to you...there are already a bunch of great faces among the 8 in the Australian part of the map
http://www.openspaceworldmap.org/

Anglican Chaplain wrote:
I too have found, in discussion with Sponsors, that red-dot
prioritising of issues is less important than going straight to
action planning. The Action plans become the 'operational priorities'
in the sense that people act on things that are really important to
them (the "responsibility" issue).

On the web link that Michael provided he described a 'pre-action
planning' phase of some silent reflection time and some talking in
pairs. I've done this too and found it works really well. My theory
is that this is good psychology - introverts tend to find silence
helpful and extraverts tend to find the conversation helpful in
getting their ideas into order.

In relation to Action Planning paper work, I find that people in my
part of Australia almost NEVER use the logical columns on my
carefully designed Action Planning Sheets (What/who/when etc)!! Even
when I've explained this, in advance, it's simply ignored. The words
that a written on Action Planning Sheets often appear to me to be
vague and non-specific. That's a complete mystery to me - has anyone
else had this experience? I can only hope that they know, in
themselves, what they want/need to do.

Something I experimented with a couple of weeks ago for the first
time (for a group of 40) was to NOT provide A4 Action Planning
templates, but rather to put some butcher's paper up on the wall and
invite people to simply write up specific things that they intended
to do, as individuals, as a consequence of the Open Space. And if
they wanted/needed the help of other people, to use the microphone to
announce this.

This resulted in people milling around the wall, watching what other
people were writing - and to my surprise the actions were often far
more clearly articulated than I've ever seen when using A4
action-planning templates. Go figure!!?? Maybe the collective/public
nature of that exercise is an invitation for people to really think
carefully about what they are writing? It might also be that seeing
one person's action statement written up, inspires other people to
add their own.

Michael Wood Western Australia

-----Original Message----- From: OSLIST
[mailto:osl...@listserv.boisestate.edu] On Behalf Of Michael M
Pannwitz Sent: Thursday, 22 October 2009 4:09 AM To:
osl...@listserv.boisestate.edu Subject: Re: OST 1,5 day: Any
suggestion?

Dear Deborah, you had some great advice. Here is my idea for a
design:

Day 1 16:00 Opening 17:15 Breakout session (they might do something
other than "discuss") 18:30 Breakout session something to eat, have
it available from 19:30 onwards for those that are very hungry or are
already finished with their session 20:15 Evening News with
invitation for more issues to be posted 20:45 End of the day

Day 2

9:00 Morning announcements and one more opportunity to post issues 9:30 Breakout session 10:45 Breakout session 12:00 Reading and
augmenting the reports (for this you post all the reports in the main
room with an A4 augmentation sheet next to each report so that
everyone can read and augment the reports...no printed Book of
Proceedings, yet...your crew sets this up while people are still in
the break out session...its like a second News Wall but now with the
 additional sheets for augmentation...being in the main room does
make a community exercise out of this with people reading, walking
around, discussing, asking questions, digesting all the stuff they
produced). 13:00 Lunch 14:00 Action Planning (as Koos suggested,
sometimes also called Action Space, yes, forget the prioritisation,
there is no energy in it, its turned out to be a statistical exercise
that does not promote passion and responsibility and only delays
people to get into the Action act).

17:30 Final cercle 18:00 End of the day

The Reading etc. session at noon followed by lunch has somewhat the function of "sleeping"...actually, I call the Action Planning the
"third day" on the experience that a 3-day event is optimal, even if
the "third day" is, as in the event you will facilitate, on the
"second day".

While the participants are having lunch and then enjoy Action
Planning your crew can produce the Book in the background, including
the "augmentation sheets". The book will be available to everyone on
their way out as they leave the event (it has become quite a practice
in the events I am facilitating that there no longer is a paper Book
but that the Book appears as an e-Book, pdf, on a website for the
participants or even for everybody interested in the book...it might
go online without the contact list with all the contact data for the
participants).

The advantage you have with a night between "day 1" and "day 2" is
that participants have 2 more opportunities to offer isssues
(especially those also, that arrive only on the second day).

Here are some links to details:

Action Planning, a very detailed description of the process, Koos mentioned, in English http://en.boscop.org/pages/30-action-planning

Augmentation Form (in German)for the reading and augmentation part http://de.boscop.org/pages/27-augmentation

Next Step form (in German) for the Action Planning
http://www.boscop.org/pages/28-naechster-schritt

The forms are MS word documents that you can download and adjust to
the details of the event you are facilitating.

By the way, its a good enforcer for sustainibility if the date of the
 Next Meeting is known even before the event.

Have a great time mmp

Déborah Maarek wrote:
Hi Koos,

Thank you so much for your answer!

Regarding the time, the participants are part of a group of people
who come every tuesday night (from 18:00 to 21:00) to listen ton
conference about "transition town, energy, climat change, new
currencies...". Each tuesday there is one conference, than a break
with food, then a second conference and food again.

That's why we had the idea to do the first half day until 21:00
with food supply during the 2 last discusisons.

I think your right that it is strange to have a session in the
second morning. It would be better to make them happen all in the
same period.

I am curious about what you call storytelling? How do you
facilitate that? Wouldn't the participants be surprise and maybe
not so happy just to tell or listen to stories?

Can you tell me more about that?

Best regards,

Déborah Maarek

Awareness Consulting

Rue de Toulouse, 15 - 1040 Brussels, Belgique

T: +32 (0) 2 219 33 35 - Gsm: +32 (0) 495 38 98 88

deborahmaa...@awareness-consulting.net

www.awarenessconsulting.com

Skype: deborahmaarek