After a long "professional" career of over 45 years in what seems to have been "change" as student body organizer, coop organizer, community organizer, union organizer, OD consultant, etc. etc. and more recently 15 years as facilitator of OS-events I am pretty sure that I did not change anything and certainly nothing one might call sustainable change, which, come to think of it, is a real oxymoron anyway. What I managed to get a hold on is to drop all ideas around me creating, causing, initiating etc. etc. change with the result of being much happier and much more effective in what I think is a contribution I am making. And it is not about enabling systems, either. Its simply focusing on expanding the prerequisites for self organisation in systems I am involved in. When I say "its simply", I realize that "expanding the prerequisites for self organisation" does work well in "structured" processes where I touch base with various steps (contact meeting, planning meeting...and after that its pretty much self-running). One thing, for instance, that I never do is to write a proposal or a formal offer for my services. I insist, yep insist, to have a contact meeting with the system interested in working a business issue. No fee for that. That insistence alone keeps about half of the potential "clients" away. The contact meetings evolve into a contract about half of the time (the potential client has come to the conclusion that getting into the world of selforganisation is not his cup of tea).
So that boils down to 75% work saved.
As you all know I could go on forever on this...have a great day.
Greetings from Berlin...lets continue this discussion in length and depth and face to face at other occasions as for instance at the WOSonOS in Berlin this May
mmp

Harrison Owen wrote:
Christine has uttered the magic words... "change things." Somehow it would
seem that effort is required, given the way things are, and further, that
effecting that change is our god given right and responsibility. And we try.
Sometimes to no effect, sometimes to minimal effect, and sometimes to
counterproductive effect as when those awful "unintended consequences" show
up. But we tried, and at least we should be given credit for that. Or should
we?

Of course we should, for hasn't all of our education and training prepared
us for that moment? And more to the point how would we get paid if we didn't
do all that?

Then again it may be the case that the change required is not ours to
supply. Doing so exceeds our power, knowledge and capacity. Perhaps our
difficulty lies in the notion that we (as individuals) are the agents of
change. After all Change Agent seems to be a recognized title and
profession. Just supposing the task and the role is rather different?
Supposing it is not our job to be Change Agents, but rather to enable the
systems of which we are a part to effectively evolve such that they fit with
the emerging world? What sort of skills and attitudes would that require?
What can we dispense with?

Harrison

Harrison Owen
7808 River Falls Dr.
Potomac, MD 20854
USA
Phone 301-365-2093
www.openspaceworld.com
www.ho-image.com (Personal Website)
To subscribe, unsubscribe, change your options, view the archives of
osl...@listserv.boisestate.edu: